Centrifugal Start Switch and Drum Switch Retrofit

Your wiring diagram is awesome, but easily undersranded by non-electricians. Maybe a photo or two showing the wires marked by number. Then anyone could wire this drum switch knowing its correctly done
@rb67mustang ,

If you can post a picture of the plate on the new motor that would help a lot!

-brino
Give me a couple of minutes, I can do that.

20210923_145155.jpg

Attachments

• 20210923_145211.jpg
    20210923_145211.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 20210923_145243.jpg
    20210923_145243.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210923_145303.jpg
    20210923_145303.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
That helps a lot!

Connections 6 and 8 are the start winding and get switch to change direction.

-brino

Here's the documents that came with the motor to set it up with an on/off switch rotating in one direction. Then an image of the drum switch and the wiring diagram inside its cover. The cover does fit either way, but It does have molded on the outside arrows depicting forward or reverse rotation which I had forgotten.

Looking at the drum switch diagram and the actual switch, it isn't clear to me where to place the wires because there are spots without screws, and there are places on each side where wires can be attached. Also, where do I attach the hot wire and the neutral wire onto the switch?

That helps a lot!

Connections 6 and 8 are the start winding and get switch to change direction.

-brino
I don't know why there are screws missing from the drum switch, maybe because it's Chinese. The more I look at this, I think the black hot wire attaches to the lower right spot with a jumper up to where it shows 5. Then on the left side it shows a jumper from 4 down to the lower left spot and then attach the white neutral wire. Then attach the other wires as shown. It also shows jumpers at 6 and 3 down one spot from each. Maybe I answered my own question. Then perform a bench test. I hope I can get more screws at a local hardware store.

Last edited:
I don't know why there are screws missing from the drum switch, maybe because it's Chinese. The more I look at this, I think the black hot wire attaches to the lower right spot with a jumper up to where it shows 5. Then on the left side it shows a jumper from 4 down to the lower left spot and then attach the white neutral wire. Then attach the other wires as shown. It also shows jumpers at 6 and 3 down one spot from each. Maybe I answered my own question. Then perform a bench test. I hope I can get more screws at a local hardware store.
if you have it figured out, let me know, otherwise i'll be happy to assist you

Back