Centurion

Not to hijack your thread Mark( I'm so happy there is a part of the forum where there are other bike fans!) but I got some pix of my dad's '68 Raleigh International. Coinkydinkly, he just got it out of the shop. It's not as cherry as your Centurion but looking better than in decades. Maybe some of you others can post some pix too?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow. This holiday has sure gifted us with some cool threads. C-Bag, I had a Dawes that got upgraded continuously during my ownership until the only Dawes part left was the frame....and I did a custom JPS style black and gold paint job on that with Dupont Imron. I regret selling it.

westsailpat, I'm curious are those sew-up rims on that Centurion?

I was curious if those were sew ups too. Are they a thing anymore?

That's cool Bill you had a Dawes too! It was the first alternative in the price range of Schwinn when a independent bike shop opened up where we were living. I loved the bike but quickly went to motorcycles and it got lost in the shuffle. I really don't remember what happened to it. Then when my brother got the motorcycle bug I traded it for the Italavega. Put many a painful mile on it. When I asked somebody why they have to be so uncomfortable he said it was to keep you up and riding. It made me go like crazy so I could get there and get off. Whole 'nuther world with the recumbent even though it can go quickly down the road if I need.

Hey there bill and Bag , yes they are sew ups . I don't know why I like them , when they flat they are hard to fix and some you can't fix ( like this pair of Tufo's I have ) When I get a flat I just glue on a new tire and try to fix the flat later , after 5 o'clock and some Jack Daniels .

LOL, the old "JD repair trick"! Never did even try to fix a sew up. The Italavega had them and as long as I was watching closely I never popped a tire. Learned I could never loan it to anybody as they never got how careful you had to be. Hate to say it, but that's another thing I don't miss. The tires I have on the trike have Kevlar liners, knock on wood haven't popped one yet in going on 3yrs on the road.

Awesome. I remember the day I first put a set of sew-up rims on the Dawes. The reduced rotational inertia was striking. I made the claim multiple times that the bike would 'coast uphill'. I had good luck with them. Repairs were rare. And yes I caught the MC bug too C-bag.

Back