Chain oil for cutting lube???

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hallo guys.
I don't know if this can be used for a cutting lube. There is no description of any kind on the container of sulpher content or anything. All I know is I am looking for a cutting lube wich I can use on the lathe and smoking up the place and price is my main enemy. Anybody out there who knows this tipe oil they use on chainsaws and if it can be used for the purpose I intend it for?
20190429_132256.jpg

It is wonderful as a lube for chainsaw bars, (for which it is intended), and is in no way a cutting fluid; some have used it as a way lubricant, but not a good idea, as it may contain some grit, some say.

Stuff like bar oil is good at being sticky, but does not have the heat range needed for cutting oil. Cutting oil has to tolerate high heat as long as possible before decomposing and going up in smoke. Then there's the chemistry... bar oil and gear oil have a lot of sulfur in them (way oil purposefully omitted) and who knows what else from the petrochemical plant is included that can alter the chemistry of your cutters and feedstock under heat and pressure. Way oil and spindle oil are rather pure hydrocarbons as far as I can tell, based on odor and smoke at the lathe. Regardless, stuff that is marketed as cutting oil is surely going to provide better performance than x-oil, whale fat, mink oil, cod liver oil, taco grease, or whatever other oil that might be handy.

So when one is in a pinch for the right thing what comes in next?

Thanks for the link, lots of good info and opinions!!

Any oil is going to smoke, some more than others. For threading I use oil and put up with it. Cor steel I use kool mist. If you don't have a mister you can put it in a spray bottle and spray as you go.

Any oil is going to smoke, some more than others. For threading I use oil and put up with it. Cor steel I use kool mist. If you don't have a mister you can put it in a spray bottle and spray as you go.
On my lathe I have a flood cooling system wich I use mainly. The reason for this post is that when working close to the chuck the coolent splashes all over and then I would prefer oil and when threading.

Back