Chambering short barrels in the headstock

I have one of Bob Pastor's Viper barrel jigs mounted to a d1-5 backplate. It does work fine. I only use it when I have to for a barrel but it is the best choice for bolt work. The issue with all of these types of fixtures is the fact that the adjustment screws are only about 6 inches apart. Getting the first couple of inches of the chamber end to run true is always a challenge. I use a 50 millionths indicator to take a direct reading of the barrel bore (not the lands) so a little movement in the adjustment screws goes a long way on the indicator. I really don't like "secondary" measurements like the "grizzly rod" popularized by Gordy Gritters. (the bushing on the rod rides on the lands) In the "short range" benchrest game absolutely everything matters so there is no room for error.
Can you post a picture / details of your mounting set up please?

I have a large, medium and small on the shelf that I made years ago. They come in handy from time to time particularly when I need to work on a barrel that's already blued and tapered.

Attachments

• CAT HEAD 1.JPG
    CAT HEAD 1.JPG
    596.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0213.JPG
    DSC_0213.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0559.JPG
    DSC_0559.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 21
I have a large, medium and small on the shelf that I made years ago. They come in handy from time to time particularly when I need to work on a barrel that's already blued and tapered.
I built a similar design, but stay away from long bolts, using set screws that don't protrude much. I'd be very cautious using those long bolts you have. The short version looks to be a meat grinder.

I built a similar design, but stay away from long bolts, using set screws that don't protrude much. I'd be very cautious using those long bolts you have. The short version looks to be a meat grinder.
I didn't feel like making another set of brass tipped bolts. When I use these I wrap the bolts in blaze orange ribbon so I can see how far they stick out. Not the safest setup but it's been working for a lotta years.

Back