Chambering short barrels in the headstock

Yes. You can just see the change in color/surface finish between the steel and cast iron.

Ba cautious to keep the screws holding the backplate on from intersecting the brass tipped screws. I got pretty close.

Cool. I have a d1-5 machine so I’m working with a bigger backplate (6 inch) and I’m drawing up some designs.

Edit… thanks for the additional photos! Big help!

Cool. I have a d1-5 machine so I’m working with a bigger backplate (6 inch) and I’m drawing up some designs.

Edit… thanks for the additional photos! Big help!

My backplate came with the camlock studs pre-installed. I only had to drill the 3 holes to attach to the fixture.

I added the extra set of holes for the brass tipped grub screws later, when trying a long action Winchester 70. I couldn't get any existing holes to match up with a good spot on the Winchester receiver, so added the extra set.

So far ive used it on a Howa long as short, Rem long and short, FN SPR, and a post 64 Win long action. I had to open in inside diameter up and add the extra hole set for the Wnnny LA.

If I had it to do over, I'd have made it an inch longer. The Win 70 LA barely fits, with the rear tang a bit inside the spindle bore.

My plate has 6 threaded holes and pins… I’ll do like you and use 3 for pins, and 3 to attach the fixture.

My plate has 6 threaded holes and pins… I’ll do like you and use 3 for pins, and 3 to attach the fixture.

Now I see where I was misunderstanding you before.

Mine is a D1-4, so only has 3 camlock studs. So, my backplate only had the 3 holes for the studs. I drilled and counter bored 3 additional to mount the fixture.

You using a Grizz G4003g?

Another handy gunsmithing tool I made, if you find a need. It's a radial and axial floating er20 reamer holder/collet chuck.

I posted drawings for here:

Back