Chambering short barrels in the headstock

I made one of those as well (copy of Gretan and Viper jig)

I like it... but it doesn't take much pressure to move the jig a couple tenths. It might be fine... but in my head if it can move... it needs to be controlled... or i'll lose sleep over it.

Attachments

• 22-03-15 17-58-38 7175.jpg
    22-03-15 17-58-38 7175.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 15
Yep, I agree, but it goes to show that the issue of the absolute concentricity of the fixture body is rather moot in the big picture. Being able to swap the two fixtures off the same backplate will save some money at least :)

I just looked online at Speedy Metals. The same piece that I made my outboard spider from about 4 months ago has gone up from $34 to $91!!

For sure. OD concentricity doesn't matter. You could certainly swap them around. I drilled my big fixutre for a d1-5 setup. I'll eventually direct mount it. Avoiding the back place all together.

I just looked online at Speedy Metals. The same piece that I made my outboard spider from about 4 months ago has gone up from $34 to $91!!

I think I paid 150 bucks for the hunk of DOM I needed for my outboard spider. Nuts.

For sure. OD concentricity doesn't matter. You could certainly swap them around. I drilled my big fixutre for a d1-5 setup. I'll eventually direct mount it. Avoiding the back place all together.
What would be the advantage of that? Being able to get a shorter overall spindle length?

Looking at what you made it would appear that your baseplate is something less than 1.5" overall thickness, is that about right?

Edit: backplate not baseplate

Sounds right. This is what I got.

Exact same one that I ordered today.

I wonder if that much is to be gained by alleviating that amount? I guess every little bit helps, but we're not turning large diameter work out at the end.

Where may I ask did you get the material for the body of your fixture?

Back