[Grinder] Champion No.3 Belt Powered Grinder Refurb!

seagiant

Registered
Registered
Hi,
Thought I would put these pics up of an old grinder I had bought at a Flea Market, years ago and just getting to now.

It was in pretty bad shape, and sported a flat wheel pulley, that was pretty useless, with a small motor.

Had all the holes filled with dirt dauber nests, and was missing the Gits oil cups, I believe it had originally.

Has babbit bearings and would date it back to the 1930's at least.

Ordered some dies and taps I needed to chase all the threads and got on the lathe and made some bronze caps for the oil holes that were threaded.

Milled a key way and put on a keyed cast iron V Belt Pulley.

Chased the threads on the main shaft as they were all dinged up and would not take the nuts required.

Found an old 1/3 HP motor and cleaned it up and made a tensioned base for it.

All in all a little bit of work, but now runs great, and can't really bog it down, and is bigger anyway, from what I had.

Wondering if anyone else uses a belt driven grinder/wire wheel???

Attachments

• ggg1.jpg
    ggg1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 23
  • ggg2.jpg
    ggg2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 18
  • gg3.jpg
    gg3.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 16
  • ggg4.jpg
    ggg4.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 21
  • ggg5.jpg
    ggg5.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 21
  • ggg6.jpg
    ggg6.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 21
That looks great. Thanks for posting. I have a Craftsman grinder powered through a v-belt, with none of the elegance or historical significance. It is powerful though.

That looks great. Thanks for posting. I have a Craftsman grinder powered through a v-belt, with none of the elegance or historical significance. It is powerful though.
Hi,
Thanks, what HP is the motor you are using?

I'm only running a 1/3 HP but the grinder seems to work pretty good with that.

Probably cause of, the weight and torque?

Hi,
Thanks, what HP is the motor you are using?

Mine is 1hp, just because I had one sitting around.
877d38f5b389c7cd0327e5576aed1369.jpg

Hi,
Wow! Thats nice!

Looks beefy, I'm going to stick with the 1/3 HP, for now seems to work ok, and...

With the Babbit bearings, don't know how much power it could take.

I really wanted the Champion to use, instead of my 2"X72" Belt Grinder as the belts are $$$!

The AO wheel is cheaper for roughing in first!

Yes it’s nice to have a variety of abrasive-removal devices. This was my first bench grinder, and now I have one of the old Rockwell carbide grinders, a couple belt sanders, and a couple buffers. I’ll likely put a wire wheel on this one, though that certainly doesn’t need the power. I did add a cheap foot-pedal switch and it’s super convenient.

Hi,
I'm a freak for grinders and drill presses for some reason?

Here is my next victim, a 6" Dunlap that I've been using for years just never had the time to clean it up.

I used to use the canned spray paint, but it does not last long in Florida...

The heat and humidity just drills right through it and it's rusted up again.

I now just use a brush to paint with, and put about 5 coats in all.

Not Museum quality, but last a LOT longer for a working machine.

Attachments

• ggg7.jpg
    ggg7.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 13
Oh boy, better be careful! I have one of those, and I run it slow with small wheels. I also put homemade guards on it. Anything heavy goes to the angle grinder. I've never had a wheel explode, but I know fellow smiths who have. I had an angle grinder wheel explode on me, and even though I had the guard on, I somehow still got hit by a piece of the wheel. That thing hurt!

Hi,
Thanks, I do use safety glasses with a face shield.

I was up about 20 ft. doing some grinding, with a 4" angle grinder, and she bounced up, hit my nose for just a second, but...

That's all it took, bled like a pig, and learned my lesson.

Admittedly never had a wheel blow, but....

Back