Change Gear Chart For 9 Tpi Lead Screw?

PAturner

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I've been investigating and it turns out my lead screw is 9 TPI, so I'm unable to use a south bend change gear chart. Anyone have any idea where a chart can be found for a 9 TPI leadscrew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must ask, what brand of lathe do you have that would have a 9 pitch threaded leadscrew on it? Ken

I can make you a chart if you tell me what gears you have, I initially made a tool for this to make metric approximations on an imperial lathe but it seemed likely that someone might need a chart for a lathe with an unusual leadscrew so that functionality is already written into the program. All I need to do is plug some gears and a leadscrew in. Would you also like a chart for metric approximations? It's a bit fiddly getting everything lined up at the start of each pass if you don't have any tools to make that easier but it's fine for low volumes of work.

Tersti, that would be great, thanks for the offer! I'll be able to tell you the gears later today.
And 4gsr, I have no idea what brand the lathe is, I haven't been able to ID it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.11111111111111 is an unusual thread lead, who would make such a machine?
I'll be fascinated to see if the changewheel set has some really odd gears in it. It's a minimisation problem and the designers may have had a changewheel set in mind which would minimise the number of changewheels required, which may or may not still be with the lathe. I imagine that if it's the same set as you'd get with an ML7 (all multiples of five) it would be very hard to cut common threads.

If you have a scale marked in 1/8th gradulations like a Starrett 4R scale, hold it up to the thread and see if the marks align up with the thread. If it does, it is a 8 pitch thread. I'm with Wreck, who would design a lathe with a 9 pitch lead screw?

If you have a scale marked in 1/8th gradulations like a Starrett 4R scale, hold it up to the thread and see if the marks align up with the thread. If it does, it is a 8 pitch thread. I'm with Wreck, who would design a lathe with a 9 pitch lead screw?
Do not confuse PITCH and LEAD, they are not the same thing.

Do not confuse PITCH and LEAD, they are not the same thing.
Agree, but we have the habit of using them interchangeably together. Let's don't confuse people here over this right now. Wait until someone starts a thread on multiple start threads. I know you had one a while back on some stuff you did. Let's not get off subject here. If you want to resurrect the thread, that's fine but not here. Ken

Back