Change Gear Info Needed

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
Would anyone happen to know what the pressure angle is on the change gears for a HF mini-lathe ?
I want to make a couple gears for a project and need to match the change gears. So before I go looking for a gear cutter I need to know what the pressure angle is.

. According to the parts list, all change gears are 1 Module pitch. No pressure angle is noted. Change gears are 80-35-90-30 and 100 TPI. These are for the #44859 8X12 Mini Lathe.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 7x12 lathe. So it might be different. They only go up to an 80 tooth. And not sure if they are the same pitch or not.

Looks like my next requisition are Pitch Gages. LOL

I found what I needed !
Took a bit of searching but found it.
The specifications for the gears used on the Mini-lathe are: module 1, 20° pressure angle, 8mm face width, and a 12mm bore with a 3mm wide by 1.4mm deep keyway. Any gear that meets these specifications can be used on the lathe.

Now I just have to see if I can find a set of cutters that I can afford. Anyone try the sets from China? I would only be cutting either plastics, brass or aluminum.

i have tested a couple chinese cutters on my Atlas MFC in mild steel, but they were not gear profile cutters.
they were sufficient for the testing, and i suspect they would hold up just fine in softer materials

The Chinese and Russian sets are 1/2 the price. So may have to go with those in January.

I really miss having a whole toolroom for my personal use.

i have purchased Russian straight edges and some metric indicators.
the items i received were very high quality.
the test results were equal to mitutoyo, as far as the dial indicators were concerned.
the straightedges blued up straight as my grade A surface plate
personally, i would lean the Russian tooling way for a couple extra Kopecks

Back