Change Gear Info Needed

For just a couple of gears, maybe think about just grinding a profile cutter and mounting it in a fly cutter. I do it all the time. And you can pierce out the blank with a slitting saw to relieve the work when using your homemade profile cutter. Just trying to save you $$$:)…Dave

For just a couple of gears, maybe think about just grinding a profile cutter and mounting it in a fly cutter. I do it all the time. And you can pierce out the blank with a slitting saw to relieve the work when using your homemade profile cutter. Just trying to save you $$$:)…Dave
I would but I shake too much now. The profile would look real ugly.

Use the tool rest on your grinder. And use a Dremel mounted with a barrel stone. Also when doing it this way, no need to know what PA the mating gear(s) are. And is this for the change gears? You could probably get away with making the gears out of Derlin or aluminum. All this typing, you would have been done already:):):):):):) and Happy New Year!

I believe the rule is all module gears are 20 deg. I'm sure there could be exceptions.
I have a few of the chineese gear cutters and they cut just fine.
Worst thing is the marking/labeling on them. Almost not there on the ones I have so keeping them identified is a problem.
Hang all the module ones on one hook, but then you need to know what # each is.
BTW a 100 tooth would take a #7 cutter.

Ah. 20:1 rather than the stock 16:1. Something that lathe can certainly use from a surface finish point of view. Have you measured to see if the banjo has enough travel? I'm sure the cover won't clear.

I can make everything work. Even if I need to make a new cover.

Oh, I'm sure you will make it all work. I was just thinking that it is such an obvious untapped market, why doesn't one exist? They make odd tooth counts, and aluminum replacements, so why not a 100 tooth? Clearance is my guess.

Back