Change gears? ELS? Help!

@jlesser27 I think the gearbox should be engaged (1:1) is what I believe he said. I am confused by that (and even what @RJSakowski about using A3 instead of A1) as the gearbox will no longer be connected to the motor or spindle. Almost seems you should put it between gear to where the is zero influence by the drag of the gears.

@jlesser27 I think the gearbox should be engaged (1:1) is what I believe he said. I am confused by that (and even what @RJSakowski about using A3 instead of A1) as the gearbox will no longer be connected to the motor or spindle. Almost seems you should put it between gear to where the is zero influence by the drag of the gears.

Unfortunately I don’t have a 1:1 gear on my machine. The closest I have is a 2:1. I will have to adjust in the settings. It’s all math right it will work with some tweaking I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of what position the gear box selectors are in, the internal gears on the 602 are still engaged. There is no straight through shaft in the gear box. The input shaft has gears which engage gears on an intermediate shaft and another set of gears on the intermediate shaft engage gears on the output shaft.

I have a long list somewhere that calculating the necessary torque will be all but impossible, as there's about a dozen variables. Picking a stepper is just a guess at best, but you can't go wrong with going a bit large. It has no effect on the code other than any gear reduction you may have.

I used the same motor etc as Clough42 on my PM1127. It keeps up fine with the 1:1 gearbox setting. Even with some decently high feed rates.

So, gears are 1.5 mod and I found a place that makes them reasonably here:

Anyone used them before? They are machinable, so if I need to modify them it's not an issue really (that I can see) and then I'll have the functionality and not have to worry about the ELS stuff (especially since it seems more expensive).

They have all of the sizes I need and it's like $230 shipped.

Thoughts?

So, gears are 1.5 mod and I found a place that makes them reasonably here:

Anyone used them before? They are machinable, so if I need to modify them it's not an issue really (that I can see) and then I'll have the functionality and not have to worry about the ELS stuff (especially since it seems more expensive).

They have all of the sizes I need and it's like $230 shipped.

Thoughts?
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them cheaper than that (since they are coming from Europe), but I personally would rather gears over the ELS.

That said, ~$5/gear is a pretty good price.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them cheaper than that (since they are coming from Europe), but I personally would rather gears over the ELS.

That said, ~$5/gear is a pretty good price.

I'd rather gears as well. I'm not old, but I learned to use old school machine tools. ;)

I'd rather gears as well. I'm not old, but I learned to use old school machine tools. ;)
I don't consider myself old (in my 30s), but from my perspective, gears 'just work'. Yes, there are downsides (needing to change them), but they will never skip a tooth, have software bugs, or blow a capacitor at the worst moment,

I've got a QCGB that works great. I don't have the ability to cut metric threads at the moment (my lathe predates WW2), but any imperial thread I want to cut i know I can quite easily.

If I didn't have a QCGB and no way to adapt one, I might think about an ELS.

James Clough has just posted a new Youtube video announcing the availability of his controller panel -

Back