Change of toys.

Cobra

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got an opportunity on a '71 Jaguar XKE 4.2L FHC in Montreal this summer.
Car had been sitting in a warehouse for about 15 years so, not pristine but workable.
Meant I had to sell the Cobra to make room in the garage, so it's is off to it's new home in Ottawa.

Started on the project. It will be completely disassembled and all rust removed and necessary panels replaced, body finished and painted before starting the reassembly.

Sulking in the warehouse.
IMG_2698.JPG

Riding home in the U-haul truck. (Note to self - U-haul measures their truck from the over-cab bin, not the floor!)
Find included a spare 4.2L engine, transmission, and IRS. Of course we have lots of room in the truck for that!
20190528_130849.jpg

Interior out and starting on the mechanical and electrical removal.
20190714_155948.jpg

Disassembled and placed on rotisserie for work at the body shop.
20191011_180906[1].jpg

Off to the shop! Local guys who specialize in exotics. Rotisserie just had a '66 OTC.
My role now moved to degreasing, blasting and painting parts to be ready for it's return.
20191209_105030.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! That should be a blast to putt around town in.

He always ate at the steak bar/ he loved to drive in his Jaguar
So welcome to the machine!

I envy thee. The car of my dreams as a teenager, then life got in my way.:)

My late father had a couple. Beautiful cars. Maybe originator of the term "high maintenance". Looks like nice series 2 car. Love the 4.2 liter. Lots of torque. I used to be good at pushing them....

In all seriousness, you are doing it right with the complete teardown and rebuild. New wiring is the only way to go. There's a netflix (or was it amazon) video called "inside Jaguar" which shows the building of new E types for the uber rich....

Nice, one of the few sports cars I'd actually like to own. I've always had a thing for the XKE. This one dug its claws in at an early age and has never let go. ;)

jaghearse.jpg

Is that the hearse edition or the SUV edition?

Those E types are some of the most beautiful cars ever made, not the most reliable but the main components are good, i've had to work on a 4.2 jaguar engine, they have a big issue with the coolant eating away the head, fixable by welding and resurfacing, i've installed high compression pistons and that is what everyone should do to them, transforms the engine from a tractor engine to a high revving torque monster.

I'll have to show this to my friend Bill, he's a Jaguar fancier, owns five, including a Jag powered rat rod.

I have a cousin who owned one in the 1970's, ran a repair shop and swapped some work for the car. He had a few exotics, recall him saying that the Jag was positively grounded; he fried a couple of after-market radios before figuring that out. Could have been other other other exotics instead.

Bruce

Back