Changing bearing oil?

Gfrost

Registered
Registered
I have a Tida 10x36 TD5a that is a belt drive.

The only areas that get oil are the spindle bearing, but I don't see any drain plugs?
How do I drain the oil that is in there and put new in? I want to change it because the chuck side looks darker in color than the outboard side.

Is it feasible to pull the sight windows out and drain them there?

Gary

Yeah, I have the manual. Not much help in that regard.

I have a Grizzly G9249 lathe, also a belt drive. It also does not have drain plugs for the headstock oil. I would have to remove the sight windows to drain the oil. This will be messy since it will likely run all over the gearbox. Need lots of paper towel.

Last edited:
Why not open the top use a turkey baster to suck up or a pump. Fill to desired level. Then you can do a visual on your gear train.

Yeah, I thought of that as a last resort. Very small holes, probably only a 1/4" or smaller holes!

I will try the sight windows, and yes that will likely be messy!!

Why not open the top use a turkey baster to suck up or a pump. Fill to desired level. Then you can do a visual on your gear train.

I did something similar on my lathe and then finished swabbing it out with pipe cleaners. Also being a cheap S.O.B. they were used pipe cleaners I had dried out.

I haven't done it yet but those sight windows come out easily, so that will be the way.
Thinking that I will get a couple of solo cups and cut the rounded rim off and duct tape them just under the hole and pull the plug:encourage:

Gary

Back