Changing my drill press build to a Geared head drill press, i have some questions.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
About a year ago i started to build my own drill press from scratch with whatever i had laying around,
Link: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shop-made-homemade-drill-press.60639/
Couple months in i began working one more day job so this project got left on the back burner, but this weekend i bought a big 4 speed drill, watch gave me the motivation to turn the build in a geared head drill press.
I'v never used geared head drill press and have some questions:
-What happens if and when the drill bit gets stuck, the drill motor has 150-700 Nm of torque?
-Is it worth it to build a power feed on this build?
-How big, how strong do i have to build the slide (ways) on which this drill will move up and down, i'm thinking same size as the saddle on a medium size lathe?
-Is fluid coolant good idea with a geared head drill press.
DSC_0304.JPGDSC_0305.JPGDSC_0306.JPG

This is a geared head drill press, notice the short head no belts.
prm-24-geared-head-drill-press-px70s24b220-14.png

I've got an old Camel back and having a slow speed,(lowest 22 r.p.m.), for bigger bits is great no problems under power feed and bits seem to really like load. Look at a speeds and feeds table for feed. Coolant is always good with bigger bits depending on thickness of stock and how many holes you're drilling. Basically think geared head mill/drill with different speeds.

I have a small gear head radial arm drill. If Im using a chuck the bit can and does slip, I've never had a morse taper bit stick, they just keep turning, guess it would just twist the bit off. Power feed is certainly nice. Just drilled a drawbar off a tractor for someone. What ever alloy it was, it work hardened looking at it. Only way to drill it was with the power feed hawging through, made an awfull sound but the bit made it.
Could you use a spindle to go up and down with a splined drive from the motor?

Greg

I've never had a morse taper bit stick,

I've got one old morse drill bit with some damage on the tang and it sometimes it pops itself out of the drill press I have. It's the only one I have had any issues with though so a guess it's quite unusual.

Thank you for your comments, after talking with some more old machinist they said, just get yourself a morse 2 rimmer in case drill bit damages the taper and use it as you will use any other drill press. As for the spindle, i'm trying to avoid using one, i'm thinking about using big ways and geib with a gear rack in the middle and having the whole drill move as up and down.

Back