Charter Oaks Benchtop Mill

thequietman

Registered
Registered
Hi all.

I'm fairly new to machining. I've been doing a fair amount of woodworking and some metalworking, but only recently started getting into machining. I am currently looking to get a small mill, something that's fairly basic, but something that would be able to handle a bit more than a mini-mill and can serve as a solid base for future upgrades.

I was looking into Grizzly G0704 until I cam across Charter Oaks manual benchtop mill. With the discount listed on their site, it's only few hundred more than a Grizzly, but does look like a much better machine. Can you give me some feedback on the mill and the company? Are the machines solid and is the company reliable?

Thank you much.

I bought a CO about a year and a half ago, and things went very well for the most part. Customer service was great too. But, I know a couple of people who have had more recent experiences and theirs didn't go so well. There have also been personnel changes as well. I won't go into details here.

I don't know your dollar or size limits, but many, many people here (including me and my 3 machines) have had excellent experiences with Matt at Precision Machine (http://www.machinetoolonline.com/index.html). His web site doesn't begin to show everything he carries, so I suggest a call or two (tell him Bill sent ya) to discuss your needs and wants and Matt will help with recommendations.

Just a suggestion.

+1 on Matt. He is a stand up guy who sells quality machines at a fair price. He also provides great customer service.

PM seems to have a lot of support around here. I am considering the PM25MV myself. However, the smaller CO mill is around $1500 and weighs 650 lbs. This has to be much more substantial than the 350 lb PM.

Steve

PM seems to have a lot of support around here. I am considering the PM25MV myself. However, the smaller CO mill is around $1500 and weighs 650 lbs. This has to be much more substantial than the 350 lb PM.

Steve

I'm not sure about how they compare, but I know that Matt's service is second to none, and I would not do business with anyone else period. Matt has a new machine the 727 which is hevier the the 25 .

Steve

If you're measuring a machine's worthiness by weight alone, this could be a valid comparison. However, I can personally tell you that out of the box my 12z had a bunch of shortcomings compared to my much smaller PM machine. I spent a year tuning and modifying that machine. Your 'assumption' that the machines are of the same quality is not guaranteed. Not even close. If the machine you receive is so bad accuracy wise that you have to send pieces out to a machine shop to fix, how does that extra weight factor into that? (this actually happened to someone)

If all you want to do is compare spec sheets and assume everything else is the same (which IMO would be an error on your part), go for it. I have had machines from both companies, and I look forward to your impressions of your new mill. :)

My budget is right at around $1500. As I said, I was looking at G0704, which is $1300 with shipping, but I heard some complaints about quality and lots of complaints about plastic gears. CO mill would've been out of my price range, but with the sale at $1500, it's right there, and I know I will have to pay additional for shipping.
My other constraint is size. My shop is in a basement (and not a walkout), so any machine I get will have to either fit through the stairwell with 90 degree turn, or could be taken apart into smaller and more manageable pieces weight wise. Honestly, CO is right at the top of the weight category as well. I did confirm that I can break it down into 3 pieces, each one around 200 lbs, and then I can take it down with the help of a hand truck.

I just quickly browsed to http://www.machinetoolonline.com/BenchMillIndex.html. The 25 seems to be a copy of Grizzly G704. Wonder if the quality is any better. I really like 727. Seems to be more in the CO class, and with 110V motor, which would make it easier for me (I would have to wire up the basement for 220V that CO needs).

Last edited:
The 727 is much more machine than a G704. Larger saddle and base for starters. If you can afford it, I think you would be happy with that one. More beef for heavier cuts (within the work envelop of the mill) and much better Y axis travel which you will find out that sooner or later you will need. :)

It should be possible to break it down to make your move to the basement easier. Matt could offer suggestions on how and where to take it apart.

The 25 seems to be a copy of Grizzly G704

Or, to be more accurate, they are both copies of the Wiess BF20. Or both made by the same manufacturer who makes the BF20. Or all are made to the same pattern used for the Optimum WM30... hard to tell with Chiense manufacturers.

But one thing is for sure, the G0704 didn't come first.

Back OT, given the choice of the G0704 or the PM25, I would go with the PM25.

Given the choice of the PM25 or the PM727, I would go with the PM727.

Given the choice of the CO or the PM727, I would go with the PM727.

Given the choice of the PM727 or the PM935.... it never ends! :D :D Of course, getting a 935 into the basement might kill you....

Back