Chassis Build

Looks very nice.

Do you plan on broaching the corners of the mag well to make them more square?

Beautiful work !
I wish I had the capability to do that type of work. I can draw em but do not have the machinery or knowledge of cnc to do it.

Thanks Bill. The CNC conversion has been a fun and yet frustrating at times but overall rewarding journey. Makes me want a proper VMC.

Jay,

That is one fine project. You need to finish the build in one of those hot rod 6mm, and shoot it in competition.

nez

Jay,

That is one fine project. You need to finish the build in one of those hot rod 6mm, and shoot it in competition.

nez

Thanks Bambam. It will be chambered in 6.5 RSAUM.

That looks awesome, well done.

F&S, WOC, DOC for rougher? Any chatter with that stickout?

Beautiful work Jay! Following along with your cool build.

That looks awesome, well done.

F&S, WOC, DOC for rougher? Any chatter with that stickout?

Rougher is a 4 flute Cobalt HHS with a 2.625" flute length. The mag well was pre-drilled with 1/2" and 5/8" holes to reduce the amount of material to remove and allow the chips to flush out of the pocket. The width of cut varies but I used .2 as the average. DOC was 0.072", 4850 RPM at 50 IPM. The pocket is 2.575 deep. Tool deflection calcs at about .001"

Cool, thanks. I have a corncob like that (shorter) and was wondering about the F&S. Haven't used it yet, but some day I'll need to butcher a bunch of aluminum with it.

Back