Cheap but better socket organizers for your tool chest

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This isn't about tooling, per se, but I thought I might share it anyway. The real estate in most of our tool boxes is limited. Socket clips are a pain in the butt when it comes to removing sockets. Commercial socket organizers take up too much space and often have pegs for sockets we don't have or need.

I am dealing with this problem by making my own socket organizers out of some pieces of scrap hardwood floor I have on hand. I lined up all the sockets on a bench, measured the length of the row, and measured the largest and smallest sockets. Drilled large and small holes at the ends, and cut between them with a bandsaw. Then glued the blade gap shut. The photos show the difference in drawer space required for regular vs. home made socket organizers. Due to the drawer height, I didn't put a base under the wooden racks to lift them out, but you could.

Most of us can recognize a socket size by looking at it and don't need labels. Just use different racks for inch and metric.

Attachments

• IMG_8880.JPG
    IMG_8880.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
  • home made organizers.JPG
    home made organizers.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 200
  • tool box drawer.JPG
    tool box drawer.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 204
I like this . I need to organize my loose sockets , have plenty of wood , and can now get to the bandsaw . :encourage:

Most of us can recognize a socket size by looking at it and don't need labels.
Maybe with YOUR youthfully dynamic and bright eyes, but not me.
I'm gonna come up with something that will ID the socket even out of the holder - but don't wanna buy those HF dyed versions.
Gonna hafta do the same with wrenches.
On the good side, I'm necessarily getting more organized overall.

Only one change I would have to make . An entire slot for 10mm sockets after replenishing them . ;)

Only one change I would have to make . An entire slot for 10mm sockets after replenishing them . ;)
Hate to ask, do you have a bucket of 10mm sockets? I want some of mine back :grin:. jk. I can't explain why they go AWOL so often, must be their roaming spirit :p

Back