Cheap Import Tilting Table - Worth its weight in...?

MakeDo

Registered
Registered
So I'm in the middle of a big (tool acquisition disorder assisted) buying spree for my mill and I have come across the array of cheap import tilting tables on amazon and ebay (take your pick, - the one I'm especially interested in is a BesEquip 7"x10" table for $140). I definitely want its capability, I'm not for the foreseeable future going to be cutting angled slots for helicopter parts, and I am also not (for the foreseeable future) interested in paying $600-3000 dollars for a professional version. I, also, don't have much experience at all with angled milling and so I just figured that I throw the question out there:

Would you stay away from cheap tilting tables all together (like, is there any concern that they might not even solidly hold a tilt)? Or, is there any hope that, as long as I'm not going for ultra precision (I realize that the bottom face is probably not particularly square, the top bed probably isn't either, nor do I have much hope in being able to rely on the protractor scale), that this will be worth anything more than its weight in hand-me-down socks? Are it's inherent faults the kind of thing that can be remedied in the home shop? Alternatively, would you recommend another approach to this - i.e - learn to play with sine bars and start to get good at building specialized jigs or, maybe, just make my own tilting plate?

I'm sure there's no way of knowing without actually seeing it in person but (to give away my personal inclination), at that price, the curiosity alone is threatening to get the better of me.

Just wanted to see if anybody had any opinions before I address that burning hole in my pocket.

In my opinion, they are well worth having. You won't use it often but when you do it is really useful. Aside from being able to set accurate angles it allows you to bolt a vise or the part solidly. Plus, it allows you to do angled cuts without having to angle your mill's head.

I have one for my Sherline mill and a Yuasa table for my bigger mill. I can mount a rotary table on these tilting angle tables so they can really extend your capabilities.

If you can find one Yuasa makes good stuff.

I agree with mikey. Bought a cheap tilting table for the old enco round column mill. Allowed me to do work at an angle since the head wouldn't tilt. Vertical space sometimes an issue, so carefull planing is required. Moved to a full size mill, but never regretted the purchase. Good or excellent used, better than cheap - that's for anything you can find in a reasonable timeframe.

Thank you, everyone. One important take away from your replies (and, as a beginner, this was actually a big part of what I was hoping to hear): tilting is a capability I'll be happy I added (one way or another). I'm going to start shopping around for used (may still let my curiosity about the import get the better of me).

Thanks, again!

Tilting is a capability I'll be happy I added (one way or another).

You are the first guy I've seen ask about tilting angle tables. They are so useful that I wonder why more of us aren't raising this kind of tooling. I've used one multiple times to cut angles, make V-blocks, carriage stops and dress a project over the years and I find it very useful.

My Yuasa table has gibs so the table moves smoothly. Once it is locked down there is zero movement. If I lock a screwless vise on it I can support the part on parallels so it is solidly held in the vise jaws so nothing moves. I usually set the angle with angle blocks and indicate it in, then I lock the table and go.

You won't use it that often but when you need it, it will be there. If you have the funds I say go for it.

A great alternative is making yourself a tilting plate that mounts in your vise. I had wanted a tilting table for the longest time but after making the plate I don't see a need for the table. Like said it will takeaway a lot of vertical travel which I didn't like. Easy to build and just as versatile
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
I made mine, 18" long with the feature of being able to saw it in half if needed, giving 2 vises theoretically identical.

Back