Cheap Mini Mill

Received a 10 pk of 2 flute end mill bits and tried them on the brass I use...
I suppose it goes without saying, but WOW. 3 or 4 or times the cutting speed vs
the burrs I'd been using. Many thanks again guys!!!

BTW, I got the 10 pk for 8.95 shipped off fleabay. They are plenty tough for the brass.
Don't know hoe they'd run on steel, but I really don't have a need to mill steel at this point.
May pick up some stainless to use as finger guards, but not yet.

Finished the Kukri a couple days ago. Not for sale so it won't be on my sale site, but I thought I'd stick it in here for laughs. Pretty crude considering I
started with 1/8" X 1.5" flat 1095 which left me no room to grind hammer marks out. Putting that longitudinal bend in it was definitely an experience!
Simple oak handle, and a brass guard (not traditional on a Kukri).
And a photo of the mill bit holder I
IMG_0481.jpg
felt compelled to make from a drop piece of maple burl.
IMG_0477.jpg

Make sure you have a collet for the size end mill you buy.Either that or use an endmill holder ,#3 Morse taper or R-8 depends on your spindle. I would use a 4 flute HSS 1/4" x 3/4" long cutter with a 3/8" shank.You should be able to cut the slot in 2 or 3 passes without lubricant.

mike

Thanks Mike! The machine did come with a pretty full set of collets for it ranging from 1/8th" through 3/4".
See here
http%3A%2F%2Fi1138.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fn532%2Fexisp%2FStuff%2FLastWords%2Fshop%2FIMG_0471.jpg

And, since really all I'm using it for right now is to cut slots in brass, I ordered a bunch of 1/8th" bits.
See up just a couple of posts to the assortment in the maple block. Appreciate the input, always!!! ;)
Can add other sizes of bits as I need them. Should order some up to 3/16ths" as I will be needing them
to use on thicker blades.

Back