Cheap place to buy metals online?

My own link but did not notice Al, and brass only.

Might look at discountsteel.com
Just priced 1ft of 1x1 1018
$12 before shipping.

I used USAMetalOnline recently. Their ebay store is here:

I have also purchased from Alro but not online as the shipping does really add to the price.

But by far my best supplier is the local machine shop. I developed a relationship with them years ago and they let me search their drops for the piece I need today. No shipping and I usually just throw him a few bucks every few times I visit. They also help me out with jobs I just cant's do at my shop (I don't have a 34" blanchard grinder like they do);)

Online shopping is convenient, and when you live in the sticks it's shipping is often cheaper than driving to pick something up. However, if you live in a metro area like Las Vegas it's probably worth your while to seek out the industrial suppliers. Most of them do custom cuts for their customers and end up with tons of off-cuts.

Cheers,

John

Discount Steel has a 27% off now. Use code year27. Expires the 24th.

Another one for Online metals dot com when I can't get what I need locally. Shipping adds a lot to the price, particularly with small quantities so it pays to buy in bulk, rather than small project by project. 6 ft lengths seems to be a sweet spot for pricing and shipping.

Hobby Metal Kits is good for small quantities, they sell in 6" and 12" lengths, and ship in USPS flat rate boxes which helps keep the shipping costs low, but again for the best deal on shipping you want to fill the box without going to the next size up.

Hobby Metal Kits LLC

I have no trouble getting basic shapes (round, square, bar) in machinable aluminum and brass locally, but other shapes (hex bar), and other metals including good machinable steels like 12L14 I need to go online.

Have a look at Metalsupermarket. They have a store in Las Vegas, so you might avoid shipping with them. They sell small quantities
and my local store has no minimum, so I often don't wind up spending much for what I need. I don't think they typically stock as
much material as say, Online Metals, but for more common items they do pretty well. My local store also sells offcuts by the pound,
especially blocks of aluminum.

Last edited:
I am fabricating some special tools for the guys in the shop.
I went online to purchase some 4" 6061 Aluminum round stock.
A 12" piece went from $90 - $114 plus shipping.
I went to our local metals outlet. They had it in stock, cut to length, out the door including tax for $88.
If you can purchase from a local supplier you will be money ahead, in my experience. That darn freight gets in the way every time.
On the other hand, I have purchased some metal products from e-bay and found some decent prices.

I've found some very good deals on eBay as well, but it's hit and miss. I always look there first though.

Back