Cheap place to buy metals online?

I am fabricating some special tools for the guys in the shop.
I went online to purchase some 4" 6061 Aluminum round stock.
A 12" piece went from $90 - $114 plus shipping.
I went to our local metals outlet. They had it in stock, cut to length, out the door including tax for $88.
If you can purchase from a local supplier you will be money ahead, in my experience. That darn freight gets in the way every time.
On the other hand, I have purchased some metal products from e-bay and found some decent prices.
Not sure what/how you looked and if you needed the full 12”, but a 4” bar, 11-1/2” long shipped on eBay could be had for $66.75

Just purchased 5 foot piece of 1 1/4 aluminum at a local supplier. It was $25
1748cb13bf8b8693f30715cecf3ae7d6.jpg

Here is the copy of invoice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just purchased 5 foot piece of 1 1/4 aluminum at a local supplier. It was $25
1748cb13bf8b8693f30715cecf3ae7d6.jpg

Here is the copy of invoice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$3.61 per pound. Most 6061 on eBay goes for $3 to $4 shipped.

just called Metals supermarket and they quoted me around $70 for an 8 foot piece of 1018 cold rolled 1" x 1" square stock

Not sure if that's cheap or expensive

just called Metals supermarket and they quoted me around $70 for an 8 foot piece of 1018 cold rolled 1" x 1" square stock

Check a couple others to compare the price...

If I recall, McMaster Carr had 6 ft. For $66.....but shipping is going to be the deal breaker. MC has fair shipping rates....they don’t rape and pillage....

I searched “metal supply Las Vegas” and found many results. One was “Best 18 metal suppliers in Las Vegas”

Instead of finding an online source I would look for a good local place to drive to and pick out what you want. So no shipping and no time delay.

Find a place that sells used or salvage metal and one that caters to the walk in hobby guy. Not one where the guy starts an invoice first, you can’t see the metal and they quote for new stuff they will order for you.

Most sizable cities will have someone who buys and sells metal

Also don’t forget a local place can cut to approximate dimensions for you to get close for machining saving you from having to cut it.

All the metal suppliers in Las Vegas that I've talked to, except for Metals Supermarket, sell generally structural type metals like angle iron, I beams, and square tubing, etc.. I'm glad someone here mentioned Metals Supermarket.

Not sure what/how you looked and if you needed the full 12”, but a 4” bar, 11-1/2” long shipped on eBay could be had for $66.75

Wow, good job!
That’s a good deal.

Do you ever wonder if you get the product, as advertised?
Is it 6061? How can you tell?
Cut offs are scrap, it should be a reduced price

Back