Cheap QCTP - any recommended?

Steevo

Active User
Registered
I need a TP for my recently acquired Atlas/Craftsman 12x36, and was perusing the assortment of QCTP setups on eBay. I see that I can't afford an Aloris or Phase II, so was looking at the cheap sets that come with four or five tool holders.
Are any of these good enough to use? I saw this one for $129 and there are many like it. I assume they are all from China.

That one at tools4Ceap looks like a good deal to me.
So, is piston or wedge type better?

I used the rocker type tool post and bit holders for years. I still use them often and like that they are small and the QC holders are sometimes in the way.

I have also used several QC holders and have one of the Asian copies which is the wedge type. I particularily like it for boring.
I think the wedge type is a good one to go with.

I am probably going to spring for a Multifix copy one of these days. I used the real thing years ago and I like it much better than other types of QC holders that I have used.
Unfortunately the price is a bit more to.

You can see them here. I read a review somewhere but don't remember where. They were rated very good.
http://www.createtool.com/list.asp?cid=33

627201020161.jpg

Charlie W.

CDCO shows a set for $78. Of course, they can't ship it.
They charged me for on 30 days ago and so far nothing.

At this point CDCO is not recommended.
If that changes, I'll update

Re: Cheap QCTP - any recommended?

Paddy OFernichur link=topic=1921.msg12498#msg12498 date=1304107726 said:
I've got a feeling he's out at the NAMES show/event, selling the vaporware he sold you to some attendee.

LOL Had not thought of that.

Actually, I called him after 10 days and no ship notification. he said he waas out of them, expecting more "soon" and I would get a ship notification then. Nothing from him since. I sent him an email yesterday telling him to ship or refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought from CDCO before with satisfactory results.
ToolsforCheap has some interesting stuff at decent prices though.
QCTP at CDCO was $78, ToolsForCheap is $90 - that's close enough

I got mine from CDCO within a week or so. I was going to go with Tools4Cheap, but he was out of stock.

Re: Cheap QCTP - any recommended?

Wedge -vs- piston style QCTP is a moot point for a Craftsman/Atlas lathe. They aren't "stiff" enough to notice the difference between the two.

Basically the AXA is the QCTP you need, the BXA is just a smidge too tall. I've had both, the AXA works best on the compound. You will have to make a "tee" nut to hold it, as the original is too wide & metric.

I've ordered probably $1500.00 worth of tooling/supplies from CDCO on a Saturday, had the items by the following Thursday. Never a problem with shipping. If you haven't gotten an item in a timely manner, I suggest you give the Chinaman a call. Hard to understand, but he will work it out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called him. He said he was out of stock, but expected some in the next few days. This was over 2 weeks ago.
I emailed him the other day, told him to ship or refund my money.
no response.

He might be a good guy and have good prices, but if he's that poor a businessman i'll go elsewhere.
But first I want my money or my tooling.

Back