Cheap solution for homemade way cover wiper

And I built some covers with dovetail slides but the way I have the dro installed and not much room on the backside I removed them,plus in order to install wipers I would have to have a good gap between slide plates and that would my clearance beneath chuck. Luckily I build foam bladder tanks for digger fighting and can get as much neoprene coated Kevlar as I want basically and made some temp covers while i think on how to make bellows style covers with this stuff or a roll up cover. I’ll probably go with homemade roll up design.

I like way covers more than way wipers. Felt wipers aren't too hard to make, I made three replacements for a G&E shaper. I've been doing some experimentation on 3D printing leadscrew covers and way wipers. Not there yet, my printer is not ideal for flexible (Bowden extruder) so the print quality hasn't been great and the print times are slow. I think an extruder at the print head would help the speed, but I need to to more trial and error on design, print temps, material and such to get there.

3D printing would be my preferred method if I had the choice for dang sure. printing another if you happen to break one vs having to machine “unless cnc vmc” out of aluminum on my small machine,yeah printing is the way to go.

Shawn, thanks for posting this. I'm about to start refurbing three lathes and I may steal your idea and use it on them.

Back