Cheap Test Indicators Unusable?

I've got a 'Heinz57' mix of DTIs and indicators.
The Mitutoyo & B&S are my goto DTIs. My Last Words I have never much cared for.
In regards to Dial Indicators, the imports that I have perform well enough for what I do with them.
When chasing thousandths, I break out the 'old' ones.
If you're building satellites and such, then you might need something better.

I have two import DTI's (.0005" and .0001") and the mechanisms work fine. However, one of them came with a defective post adapter -- the dovetail is so poorly made that it doesn't securely hold the DTI. This DOES render the DTI untrustworthy. To get around that I use the good post from the other DTI. Sort of a pain to move back & forth so my next Shars order will include a replacement post.

I don't have much in the way of expectations when I pay $20 or less for an indicator. All my plunge indicators are offshore, and in light use, they all do fine (I have 4 or 5) A ll my test indicators are name brand, Mitutoyo or Interrapid. Knowing guys with indicators that had problems, I think these are the tradeoffs:

If you are going to be a light user, going cheap won't hurt you. However some DTIs work fine, until they don't. If you go cheap, get a few gauge blocks to check the calibration if you suspect something is wonky. I've stayed away from inexpensive DTIs because one way to make them cheap is with injected molded gears in the gear train, which gives rough readings, and shorter life. If you have to replace them once or twice if they age out, it is still a lot less than buying one of the Big 3....

Anyone here have any experience with Fowler indicators, plunge or DTI?

Yes I have a Fowler .0001'' DTI. I only use it in special cases because of the limited range (+/- .005'') and because it is very sensitive.
But it has done the job.
I also have a Fowler 4'' dial caliber that does not repeat very well, has rough feel compared to my Mitu and iGaging OriginCal.

Not personally, but here's what L.I.I. has to say:

Fowler once relied heavily on English imports such as Verdict indicators. These were about as good as English weather. Nowadays they rely more heavily on Swiss made gages but also offer look-alikes in their effort to remain competitive. Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing: they offer a pathetic imitation of the Bestest indicator and an Interapid look-alike is made in China and sold under the name Xtest. The best mechanical test indicator which Fowler offers is the Swiss made Girodtast. Fowler recently imtroduced Ultra-Tast indicators which are made by Kafer in Germany. It is a respectable manufacturer but has been known to outsource to China. Repairs and spare parts may be hard to come by. A five-year warranty sounds great but it is against manufacturing defects. Any defects would be noticed within the first few weeks of use and not likely after four-and-a-half years. When shopping Fowler, if it doesn't say "Swiss Made" or "German made": Buyer beware.
  • Repairs: limited by parts availability. Ask your preferred repair shop before sending these.
  • Sales: Fowler distributors and online
  • Parts: check with Fowler
  • Information: Fowler web site"

I don't have much in the way of expectations when I pay $20 or less for an indicator. All my plunge indicators are offshore, and in light use, they all do fine (I have 4 or 5) A ll my test indicators are name brand, Mitutoyo or Interrapid. Knowing guys with indicators that had problems, I think these are the tradeoffs:

If you are going to be a light user, going cheap won't hurt you. However some DTIs work fine, until they don't. If you go cheap, get a few gauge blocks to check the calibration if you suspect something is wonky. I've stayed away from inexpensive DTIs because one way to make them cheap is with injected molded gears in the gear train, which gives rough readings, and shorter life. If you have to replace them once or twice if they age out, it is still a lot less than buying one of the Big 3....

Thought I had quite a few, but the ones in the green boxes are Federal TestMasters (one is a Fowler), blue plastic boxes are my Fowler's. My Fowler's are in 0.0005", 0.01 mm and 0.0025 mm resolutions. I haven't had any issues with repeatability; I've only used them for checking run-out on a continuous surface. I have not touched on a surface, moved off, and returned for a repeatability check.

Bruce

1578098988272.png

First off, no bigger private fan of Long Island Indicator than I. If it ran for President. . .
Various indicators become erratic, often traced to a depressed or loose crystal. It drags on the needle and havoc ensues.
Most good indicators are worth the money, even used. What Last Words have, a scroll, just can't do what a Interapid [geared] can. But either seem to last for ever. I have and use both. If I'm dialing a big bore with just .001 to remove or locating other features Interapid is #1.

Member middle.road said If you're building satellites and such, then you might need something better.
That sums it well.
And if you are making satellites, someone else is buying the indicators . . .

Last edited:
Back