Cheap tubing notcher for your lathe

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A milling attachment is heavy and cumbersome, and there is always the chance of accidentally dropping it on the ways. I came up with this piece to cut notches in tubing without resorting to a milling attachment.

Chuck up a hex shank hole saw, mount this little attachment, and you are good to go. The longitudinal power feed makes it automatic. It cuts solids like butter as well.

Attachments

• tubenotcher.jpg
    tubenotcher.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 173
  • tubelathe.jpg
    tubelathe.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 183
  • tubing examples.jpg
    tubing examples.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 164
  • one and a half inch diam solid.JPG
    one and a half inch diam solid.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 129
Same here, and I made due with an actual tubing notcher and drill press. The biggest problem I found wasn't so much holding it, but that fine-tooth hole saws aren't available.

ponderous_fender.jpg

Added to the top of my project list.

Same here, and I made due with an actual tubing notcher and drill press. The biggest problem I found wasn't so much holding it, but that fine-tooth hole saws aren't available.

ponderous_fender.jpg
Man that's a great looking car!

Cool idea! I have a cage to build here soon-ish, I should make one of these. :)

I own and drive two vehicles, both have full cages. I don't know how I feel about hanging a long piece of tubing off of my tool post, but it seems obvious that the lathe is a better platform than a wobbly jig on a drill press table.

Hah, You can build your own! www.midlana.com :)

1800lbs complete, 350–530whp, depending upon boost and dyno type.

Wow, I thought I had the best whp/weight ratio in town. Not even close, those numbers are crushing! Do you have to use a restrictor plate for autocross to keep it under control?

I have to get back to working on the Chevelle, machining has been a fun distraction.

Back