Cheaper than a heimer tester

mysterysniper

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I do not have any thing to do with said company or product
These are great to use and help the hobbist and learners on cnc or manual.

No MSRP given but for a pledge of $299, you get a unit from batch 2 for the discounted price of $299. From their page, a Haimer is $450 so not that great a price difference.

Looks like they are short on the funding :(

Seems pretty scummy to me...

They're blatantly and openly ripping off a product design, then promising to make it for cheaper?

That's the same type of behavior the US manufacturing sector have been blaming China for for decades.

Raising $55K $200 and $300 at a time is tough. It appears that the target MSRP will be somewhere between $350 - $400. I have been involved in startups in the past. In my experience, estimated cost of production tends to be optimistic so they will be uncomfortably close to an established product. For a startup to work on too small a margin is a recipe for failure.

Seems pretty scummy to me...

They're blatantly and openly ripping off a product design, then promising to make it for cheaper?

That's the same type of behavior the US manufacturing sector have been blaming China for for decades.
Problem is China didn't rip us off for manufacturing the powers at the top levels willing moved it there and were rewarded with bonuses and other percs. This improved there profit per share of stock to where investors wanted to be.
Most of it was short term gains realized by a few.

Problem is China didn't rip us off for manufacturing the powers at the top levels willing moved it there and were rewarded with bonuses and other percs. This improved there profit per share of stock to where investors wanted to be.
Well I won't argue with any of that.

But I still say it's pretty scummy to blatantly rip off and try to undercut the real deal.

It's done all the time, of course.

It just seems ickier when they're trying to raise money on Kickstarter to do it.

Blatant knockoff's like this just **** me off. I don't care if it's Chicom or otherwise, and that it's a USA based company is embarrassing to me. I hope Haimer has a patent, and buries them.

The bottom line on this, as I see it, is that either the Haimer is a patented product and they will pursue their legal rights or it’s not a patented product and it’s fair game.

I don’t think that someone would attempt this within the US knowing that they would be legally pursued. From China or another place overseas, sure, but here in the US you would have to know that eventually you will lose.

Could this just be a scam to raise funds and never deliver, perhaps. Hard to tell without greater research, and I for one am not willing to dig that deep. I suspect, based upon the BIO of the founder of the company doing this (DDR, Direct Drive Robotics), and this is assuming that the BIO is legit, that he is not going into this blindly.

I have supported a few kickstarter campaigns over the years to help out an upstart, and so far have always received what I paid for. But this time around I just can’t see how this would be of enough benefit in my usage to justify the cost. This is certainly a great time saving tool, but it doesn’t seem to do anything more than other tools that I already have can do.

Don't forget the part about the fact that the end product is sold to customers here in the US. Most companies move production over seas when passing along the costs of doing business increases the retail price to the point that they start loosing customers to less expensive alternatives. You can't expect them to pay their employees an average of $21.00 per hour and compete with companies that are paying $3.60 per hour. If we were willing to pay the difference in retail price to keep the jobs here they would remain.

This is the same argument used by local retailers when a big box store tries to move into a small town. All the local retailers are up in arms saying they will be ruined. If the local residents were willing to pay a higher price for the same goods sold by local retailers the big box stores wouldn't have the business, wouldn't be profitable, and wouldn't survive. However most people base their purchasing decisions their personal cost, not how it will effect the business down the street.

Back