Cheaply Made Chinese Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several in the ER11, ER20, ER32 sizes. So far so good. I've modified a couple for applications where needed. Most of the holders are fairly hard, 50-55 HRC range.
Have had no problems with runout, all well within specifications.

Thanks, I might take a shot as they're quite reasonable price.

How much runout is considered ok?
Most say .0002". Seen one or two say .0006"

EDIT: I may have that backwards. But my calibrated and certified eyeball says .0003" T.I.R..

I started buying tools in the late 1950s. Back then there was also some cheap stuff made from pot metal that broke on the first use. I don't remember where they were made (not China) but that's not the point. The point is business to succeed has to make what people are buying. If there are cheap garbage tools out there its because someone is buying it. It has been like that forever.

So if you are trying to find quality tools at junk prices then good luck to you. Actually I am really amazed at how much I do get at budget prices from China. But if you don't discriminate on quality don't blame the Chinese, they are laughing all the way to the bank.
If you want quality tools that perform you have to pay for them.

Last edited:
Speaking of cheap Chinese made stuff. What do members think of the ER20 colletes and collet holders. I'm particularly looking at a #3 MT ER 20 collet holder,with M16 x 1.75 thread for draw bar, plus a set of collets. They are generally sold on eBay by many sellers and are unbranded. They look quite good in the photos, but are they any good when put to the test. They won't be used for really heavy work as long as they are reasonably accurate.

I am happy with my ER32 R8 collet set. It is better than anything I could make for myself and costs less than just the raw materials I would have to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back