Cheapskate In Me Looking For Some Plans

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
Yes, I know I can buy one, or several different kinds. I am about to embark on an experimental project where I need to strip a handful of small bore rifles, mostly bolt actions. Nearly all have front dovetail sights.

Does anyone have a set of drawings for a decent sight pusher? I see all sorts for sale, from cheap-o looking stamped sheet metal to over-done aluminum extrusions, and everything in between. Then too, I see references to people just beating them out with brass punches. I can do that, but it kind of goes against my grain. I'd rather have a pusher. Especially to reinstall them.

Suggestions?

Reactions: Guv
While i'd never wanna go against your grain, the punch is the way to go.

A pusher is the proper tool for *adjusting* the sight. For removal and replacement, a soft punch is more than adequate.

If you have to *beat* them, you have bigger problems than just the tool. I have found more than a few tapered dovetails where the sight only goes in from the right hand side. So it must be removed going to the right hand side. Takes a keen eye and hand to spot these, but they exist.

A pusher is basically a C-clamp with straight sides. After you run a couple of these out with one, it's my bet you say, "why don't i just use a punch on this?"

Wrat

I could see that happening. Spend a day making a beautiful, precision tool only to set it aside in favor of a brass punch. Actually I have some electrolytic copper that would make a good tip for a punch. Seems to me the precision adjustment would really only be a big factor on pistols anyway.

Oh, and everything I read says the dovetails on the barrels are straight, and on the sight they are tapered, and almost universally they drive from left to right to remove. This looking down from the breech end. If they are too tight, advice is to file a bit on the bottom of the sight, never file the barrel. That's a no brainer there. Price based reasoning.

I've never used a sight pusher on a rifle. Punch and hammer is normal.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I own 2 commercial sight pushers and was going to make another one. There is a fairly new one on the market that looks pretty good. In the $300 plus range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I have accepted using a punch to remove the sight, what about reinstallation? Is it then that a sight pusher is more than a luxury? Or are measurements prior to removal close enough, or do also adjust with a punch?

While I have accepted using a punch to remove the sight, what about reinstallation? Is it then that a sight pusher is more than a luxury? Or are measurements prior to removal close enough, or do also adjust with a punch?

Hey Tony: I just ordered some Truglo TFO fixed sights for my wife's xds 40 and it was 'suggested' that I buy a sight pusher to go with them. After gagging at the quality of the cheap ones and near fainting at the price of the really nice one I liked (almost $100 bucks), I have decided to go ahead and make my own and will base it on the pics of the expensive one. I'll get started on that tomorrow. :)

Please post your build process/design for the sight pusher. I am planning on building one or two myself but haven't settled on a design.

Thanks,

-Ron

Good deal, Bill. I'll be watching with interest. I may build one just to have.

I owned a pusher for Glock 17 years ago. I'll be watching this thread too. Sounds like a good project.

Back