Check price first, LOL

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was feeling ambitious today, and wanted to get material for a frame to mount my lathe, so it could be rolled around on leveling castors. I chose 2x3 box tubing hoping it would be rigid enough for the purpose. I went to our only supply shop, and they only had 1/4" wall, so I said ok, overkill. I know the owner, and he said he would cut it for me no charge. I gave him my dimensions, and ended up with an extra 3' piece to bring home for what ever. Go in the office talk a bit, the invoice is 400 dollars for 25'. I put away my cash, and use the credit card with a hard swallow. Oh well:eek:

Ouch!!! Not much you can say after it's been cut. Have you priced the leveling casters yet? How many do you plan to use? I'm anxious to see this frame when you are done.

I have 4 Carry Master 300s now something like 35-38 bucks each, plus postage. The lathe is 600 lbs + or -. My elementary engineering thinking is to use 4, and put them on the inner corners of the stands to shorten the span. The frame will be 55"x20" mitered corners, with a full length X in the middle with the same 2x3x1/4 material. Thoughts anyone?

Will you still be able to move it? :grin big: Seriously that seems a tad steep. I have heard of someone useing pallet shelving uprights. These can be picked up quite cheap secondhand and due to their shape do not twist and have readily available hardware to bolt them together which makes it easy to check for square before welding if that is wanted plus they are made of a medium Carbon steel and come powdercoated.

Will you be using the casters to level the machine or just to move it when needed?

The cow is out of the barn, I am the farthest western most member that there is here, AKA Bum f___ nowhere. I do not have a lot of access. 96746....
The casters are for leveling, but for mobility if needed, but hopefully not.

I have 4 Carry Master 300s now something like 35-38 bucks each, plus postage. The lathe is 600 lbs + or -. My elementary engineering thinking is to use 4, and put them on the inner corners of the stands to shorten the span. The frame will be 55"x20" mitered corners, with a full length X in the middle with the same 2x3x1/4 material. Thoughts anyone?

AC-300's have a total capacity of 1100# and I think that is conservative. They should handle the load easily. I have these casters under my RF-31 that weighs about 700# with the heavy steel stand (I think) and I can roll the mill around my shop with one finger. Better than Footmaster casters in my limited experience.

when I built my frame for my lathe a 12x36 Chinese lathe I used 2x3x1/4 tube steel. worked well. the rest of the story is I just finished calling the steel supplier for work and ordered $6000 of steel from them. hung up and called again I explained that I needed 20 foot of2x2x1/4 tube steel for home. I explained it was for me and had nothing to with work. the guy charged me 10 cents a foot for the stock no cutting. I sent my wife right down to get it.lucked out this was back in the early 80's bill

$400 for 25 feet! I got a pile of the stuff surplus a couple of years ago. Maybe I oughta go bring it in out of the rain and wash the mud off!

Glenn

Back