Check the connections before you buy.

derfatdutchman

Registered
Registered
My mill is a Grizzly G0678, I've had it for over a year now its been a good machine. I went to the shop to work on my current project, release the e stop switch and hear the relay click, then I press the on button, hmm no click of the relay and no power to the spindle. Try everything again, nope nothing, crap it worked great last night, unplug the mill. Grab the manual and the multimeter, unscrew the control panel to check the contact block on the on switch. Battery for the multimeter is dead, go upstairs, I have a kid so there is not a fresh AA battery in the house, too late to run the store. Go on line order new contact block because that has to the problem. Next morning, get fresh batteries, check the contact block, crap its good. Now I'm mad so I go reinstall the switch plug the mill back in try to start it again, still nothing, unplug the mill. Go unscrew the back panel where the relays and VFD are mounted. Notice a small relay is just laying on the wiring harness. Find the socket for the relay and plug it back in, plug in the mill, release the e stop switch hear click for the relay, press the on button here click from the relay, turn the spindle switch to forward the motor starts and the spindle moves. Hear my phone go off, the contact blocks I ordered have just shipped. So I spent $20.00 to fix a problem I didn't have, but will put them in with spare parts, that what I get for diving in head first without checking the easy stuff first.

I can relate to that- I try to impress on folks here not to throw money at a problem before knowing what the problem is- gets expensive
-Mark
If Grizzly still sells your version of switch you might want to order a spare- I have heard Grizzly sometimes discontinues electrical parts then you are forced to modify/rewire the machine to keep it running

I can relate to that- I try to impress on folks here not to throw money at a problem before knowing what the problem is- gets expensive
-Mark
If Grizzly still sells your version of switch you might want to order a spare- I have heard Grizzly sometimes discontinues electrical parts then you are forced to modify/rewire the machine to keep it running
It was late I was tired and frustrated so I went online. One of the bad things about the internet is you can shop 24-7, in the old days I would have had to call or go to the electrical supply house. The good thing is the contact blocks on several of the switches are the same, so I will have spares.

... that what I get for diving in head first without checking the easy stuff first.
O, sing me a song about that one!

PS - I can definitely relate to the sequence of frustrations building upon itself, to the point where judgement gets a bit clouded. Been there, too! Once in a while, I'll see something like that happening to myself in time to just back off ... but not always and not often enough.

Back