Checking out an old hacksaw

burtonbr

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Noticed this in a local auction listing for this weekend. I've always wanted a power hacksaw but really don't have the space for one. Might just have to have this one unless it goes for some ridiculous price. Looks like it might need some work and cleaning up but seems pretty complete, I'd like to have it and get it cutting either way.

IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPG

I have a larger power hack saw and it is slow but it will make incredible straight cuts. I needed some discs about 3-4 inches in diameter, put a bar of unknown steel and sliced off a squaring cut. Bumped it over after a slight loosening of the vise. Third cut and there is my disc, almost perfect parallel faces. I cut 3 more just for fun! You never know when you will need a disc for a hot government project.
It uses 17 or 18" blades with tooth counts from 14 to 3 teeth per inch. Very easy to swap blades.
The 3-6 TPI blades for thick cuts, the chips look like part off cuttings. There is almost always the need for cooling fluid of some sort. And don't catch the chips like the fellow who saw me testing the saw with a coarse 3 TPI blade. The chips were falling into the chip pan and making small puffs of smoke. He caught some before than I stop him! It didn't take him long to look at them! Small white cooked spots and as this saw had a speed control I was running as slow as possible. Be sure on flame cut material that you grind thru and hardened areas or your blade will be destroyed. I think your saw will be using regular hack saw blades. Buy the best bi-metal blade you can get. They will last for a long time. Since power hacks are no longer in vogue they often have clearance sales on blades. Keep you eyes open for these sales.
When a blade becomes dull or gets all the teeth on one side ruined you still have some good material for knifes, scrapers or other tools.
I hope it becomes yours, they are great tools.

Last edited:
Looks like it's complete and being craftsman there should be manuals around even parts. Couple sellers on eBay have good prices on blades. If ya get it and need more info on blades just holler.

I have one of those. I paid $5.00 for it at an estate auction. It uses regular hacksaw blades. I use it for mystery metals because it doesn't cost much if I ruin a blade. It doesn't take up much space either.

It's a covel sold as a craftsman. Made in new haven mi. If I r ember right. I have one and use it all the time
Thanks scruffy

I have one of those and I like it a lot. It's fun to watch it work. I use regular Lennox blades on mine. I changed the setup and mounted the motor underneath to save space.

hacksaw 3.jpg hacksaw 4.jpg

what a neat lookin tool, there was machine shop near us that had one just like it but the owner never used it for production, he said it was way too slow to cut but loads of fun to watch it in action.

I have a nice small benchtop unit. I had to make a new arm for it, as someone bent the arm under too much tension.
Mine does not cut straight, but that's because the arm being replaced, and it not being cast.
I still use it , it does cut slow, but if you keep adding cutting fluid it does go quicker.

Great info, thanks guys. Cool to see some still being used, I've never seen one in person but always fascinated by the videos I've seen of them.

Looking at the pictures of this one it would suit me better to have the motor mounted underneath too.

Back