In Memorium: Roy Scuccimarri (royesses)

I have a few very different ways of looking at The Big Step:

1. Something I read a very long time ago in Reader's Digest that was submitted by a pastor (paraphrased):
"A community of crabs lived on a rock outcrop in the middle of the seafloor, surrounded by nothing but sand as far as they could see. Because of this, they held very tightly as they moved about on the rocks, for fear of being swept away by the current into the great beyond. One day, a crab lost his footing, the current grabbed him, and he went sailing off. Instead of the nothingness that he feared, he saw many wonderful things, things that he could never have imagined, including crabs swept away before him -"

2. Towards the end of his life, my father suffered for years from dementia, a hellish decent into a void. For me personally, I think it's one of worse way to go, because he knew that his mind was slipping. And for the family, it was especially tough because there was absolutely nothing that we could do. It was like watching someone slowly drowning, just out of reach, and all we could do is just stand there, helpless. You've had the wonderful advantage of having lived fully right to the end, and while our medical industry has advanced greatly, keeping people here long after they've had enough and are ready for What's Next, is to me, a sort of hell all its own, but I digress.

3. I've gone skydiving a few times, and when you're there in the doorway, there comes a moment when you make that decision, "Okay, this is it, I'm letting go," having faith that what awaits will be a wonderful experience. I think this same moment awaits us all, letting go and taking a big leap.

4. And lastly, when you get there, please say hi to my four grandparents, only one of which I ever got to meet. And all our dogs.

Thank you.
Will Do.

Roy

Hey, Roy. You don't need to respond to this. I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and praying for you. I hope Hospice is able to help keep the pain under control and that you're still able to interact with your family.

We are here ...

Mike

Thank you Mike for your post, I've been thinking about doing the same but was reluctant to do so for the same reason you mentioned, Roy knows we all want to give him his space so please Roy we don't expect a response from you, just know you're in our hearts and our prayers.

Good Evening everybody,

Like all of you here I've been anxious to receive an update about Roy. I reached out to his son-in-law today and he informed me that Roy passed away on Monday evening. He was surrounded by his family at his home where he was most comfortable, during his final days.

Services for Roy will be held on Thursday the 29th at 1:00, at Ft. Sill National Cemetery in Elgin, Oklahoma. Anyone in the OK/North TX area wanting to attend are welcome.

RIP Roy, you will be missed by your friends here at H-M.

For those interested in Roy's contributions and good nature here at Hobby Machinist, please check out his content by clicking here.

Ah damn. :( So sad to hear this. Thank you for the update Bryan.

Thanks for the update Bryan.

Almost 3 weeks since Roy posted this news. He said he had 3 weeks...

Back