• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• I apologize to anyone who is disappointed with their experience on The Hobby-Machinist.

Anyone who made a donation within the last year who would like a refund, please PM me and I will refund your money.

Again, my apologies.

Nelson

[4]

Chicago Latrobe vs. Irwin drill bits???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Some good deals on a set of wire gauge drills...Irwin is cheaper but C-L is the short length I like for small hole drilling in metal. Which is the better overall deal?

Irwin
C-L Stub length

extropic

Active User
Registered
I don't think Irwin makes anything in the USA anymore.
The description on Amazon says the C-L set is "Made in the USA".
Since I don't know your definition of "deal", my best answer is I would buy the C-L.
C-L is a long standing USA company with a good reputation, IMHO.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
CL for me too

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Another factor you might want to consider is the point style. The Irwin bits have a 118º chisel point (general purpose) tip. The C-L have 135º split points.

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Irwin are "quality" consumer grade, Chicago-Latrobe are actual quality industrial grade.

cdhknives

Active User
Thanks guys. Despite only using wire size bits once in a blue moon (when only that size will do) I went ahead and spent the extra for the C-L bits. They are 50% more cost but the stub length just works better with tiny holes. I doubt in my lifetime I will drill enough holes with any one bit for the quality difference to become an issue.

[6]
[5] [7]