Chicago Latrobe vs. Irwin drill bits???

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some good deals on a set of wire gauge drills...Irwin is cheaper but C-L is the short length I like for small hole drilling in metal. Which is the better overall deal?

Irwin
C-L Stub length

extropic

Active User
Registered
I don't think Irwin makes anything in the USA anymore.
The description on Amazon says the C-L set is "Made in the USA".
Since I don't know your definition of "deal", my best answer is I would buy the C-L.
C-L is a long standing USA company with a good reputation, IMHO.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Another factor you might want to consider is the point style. The Irwin bits have a 118º chisel point (general purpose) tip. The C-L have 135º split points.

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Irwin are "quality" consumer grade, Chicago-Latrobe are actual quality industrial grade.

cdhknives

Active User
Thanks guys. Despite only using wire size bits once in a blue moon (when only that size will do) I went ahead and spent the extra for the C-L bits. They are 50% more cost but the stub length just works better with tiny holes. I doubt in my lifetime I will drill enough holes with any one bit for the quality difference to become an issue.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock