child proof receptacles to keep chips out of harms way

rspenc

Registered
Registered
When using the mill chips seem to get everywhere. One place I don't want therm is in the electrical receptacle behind the mill. Has anyone used tamper proof receptacles in the shop to keep chips out? The ones with the shudder that closes when a cord is unplugged, I know they can be a pain to plug into but if they work to eliminate chips entering the receptacle it may be worth it. Before I spring for and replace good receptacles I'm looking for feedback.

I don’t have any plugs in harms way but you could get exterior outlet covers with the hinged plastic lids. They are easier to use than the childproof ones imho.

How about getting some spare plugs at the hardware store and plug them into any unused outlets?

I have an outlet behind my lathe for a light. I'm only using one plug. The rest are covered with childproof caps. I've had them in there for years with no problems.

I use those tamper resistant receptacles around the welding table , keeps the sparks out
but they would be good swarf resistant plugs

I prefer the IP56 Outdoor sockets where there is any chance of contamination with solids or liquids.

I installed an outdoor receptacle cover near my lathe and I already had the tamper proof receptacle. The reason I did it was its no fun to have a piece of swarf short the plug and trip the breaker ( insert bright flash and pop here). Do not ask how I know this........

We have a bunch of tamper resistance receptacles in our house. At first I was reluctant, but the electrician insisted.

After using them for several years, I have no compliants. They work fine. I plug my shaver into one every morning, so it has seen over 1000 insertions. No problem at all.

Back