China Post.........REALLY! !!!!

I did have a problem a damaged protractor purchased through eBay. The company was "supposed to be" out of California. Unfortunately it turned out to be a front for a Chinese distributor. When I first complained about the damage I was told "that's to be expected when shipping these long distances". When I wouldn't accept that they told me "they never sent a package to me, so it must be from a different vendor". After a couple more lame excuses I sand "fine I'll just register a complaint through eBay and see how things work out.

Within less than 3 hours I got an e mail ensuring I would have a new protractor in my hands within 3 days. I countered that if I didn't I would be sure to file a complaint. They did make good. but I've since decided I won't buy anything online from a Chinese company or a Chinese distributor. There's tremendous peace of mind for the few cents more it cost to do business with a real American company. I'm not saying I will never buy a Chinese products, but what I will do is buy them through an established American company. At least the companies here that handle Chinese built products are subject to our rules, regulations, and laws.

I doubt that any shipper uses much more (or less) care than shown; UPS seems to think that if it gets damaged in shipping, you (or the shipper ) did not pack it well enough, speaking from experience.

Small packages are likely to be thrown when handled manually. Why would they handle them manually when they have super high tech sorting equipment? Because that equipment sometimes fails and leads to pile ups like you see in the videos.

I deal with container shipping in my current job and the chinese are the Tetris masters of the universe at using ever cubic centimeter of space in a container. In my past I dealt the containerized air freight and it was a giant pain in the rear to pack them and had to be done by hand. In order to maximize profit on freight they charge by the weight but the density was important to the bottom line.

I also dealt with loading baggage onto planes. Gentle treatment is the exception to the rule.

Somewhere I have similar pics that I took when I drove truck into and out of a DHL sorting facility. When you hire workers who do not care, and you push them to get things done quickly, and do not treat them like they will be back tomorrow, thats what you will get. After they got caught twice with illegal workers, they switched to American workers, and paid a decent wage. Last time I was there, it was like a entirely different place. Treat people like humans, And they will do better then if you treat them like slaves.

There is a classic story about a research group that wanted to understand what G forces packages experience, so they packaged up three recording accelerometers and mailed them. All three accelerometers were broken in transit.

My first job out of school was working in Purchasing for a very small electronics manufacturer. We were evaluating some new packaging for a product and I decided to perform a practical test by repeatedly flinging the boxes straight up out in the parking lot. The product survived, and we bought the packaging...

Back