Chipped Teeth

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
To what degree, if at all, do you put up with ka clunk....ka clunk....ka klunk...?

I always keep at least one clunker on hand for sacrificial work but like to keep a good blade on my saws.

I don’t tolerate it for long. On my vertical saws that usually meant a failing weld (for me anyway) and I hated to have my fingers near when it ultimately would let go. Plus the BANG always scared the k-rap out of me at the least opportune time. On my horizontal I replace it out of habit as soon as it starts.

-frank

I always put thin materials, like sheet metal, on a piece of wood and cut both at the same time. This reduces the possibility of tearing out teeth. I also keep a crappy blade around for such occasions. I only use Bi-Metal Matrix blades, they are expensive and I'm cheap so I make sure that I get the most from them. That said, I find that careful use is the best policy.

Richard

By the time I lose a tooth on the bandsaw blade it's usually long past the time it should have been replaced. It was time to replace one a couple weeks ago. It was probably over 3 years old and had several hundred hours of cut time when it finally lost a tooth. When I removed it the blade was cracked in 4 different places. It truly was long past time to replace it.

I've found the same - if it's starting the whump whump then usually it's about to fail. Had a run of band failures from cracking, now I run the band tension alot lower and so far (touch wood) no issues.

I find the bent tooth, and reduce its "bite" with a dremel tool and cutoff blade, grinding the back to the tooth until its back in line.

Use a die grinder or Dremel to grind a ramp from the next few teeth following the missing tooth. It eases the transition and prevents further tooth tear-out.
That IS the common practice BION.
I'll wager 65.57% of stripped teeth due to not continually having 3 minimum in the cut, 16.43% badly set guides/ wheel alignment, 9.04% initial and retensioning of blade, remaining 8.96% excess feed rate on brand new blade.
Plus or minus Gallup poll standard error.

Back