Chipper Repair

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Last summer, in an attempt to keep up with the wildfire fuel accumulation on my property, I bought an old (1978) Might Mac chipper for $200.
WP_20200615_11_53_19_Pro.jpg

This year, because I regularly feed it things it was never intended to handle, the output screen failed completely. It was a piece of 10 ga. perforated with 1 in. holes. It fatigued and broke into several pieces. A replacement would have cost $135, but would have been no better than the original. The solution was obvious. I picked a piece of 1/4 x 10 HR flat that was big enough, then sat down and drew it up on Acad.

A couple of days (and a mistake or two) later, I had all the holes drilled.
WP_20200615_08_39_04_Pro.jpg

After welding the mounting tubes to both ends, I had to form the radius. Lacking a press-brake, I had to improvise.
WP_20200615_09_48_05_Pro.jpg
Yes, that's a wide-5 VW bus rim and a come-along. That got me close, but I still had to close it up a couple of inches to get the mounting tube spacing right. Back to the table vise on the mill to squeeze it tighter. Of course, it wanted to concentrate the bend in the middle. A tie-down stud solved that problem.
WP_20200615_10_39_37_Pro.jpg
Fortunately, the "radius" was not critical, as long as the spacing between the tubes was right, it would work.
And it does.
WP_20200615_11_53_40_Pro.jpg

It only took me about 12 hours.

Last edited:
12 / $135 = $11ish an hr. That's premium wages in these parts......

Nice job/save! Does your chipper have like ¼” x 1” flat bar for blades that just flop around on shafts? And it just beats the stuff to death. I had one of those chippers decades ago. Then I got a chipper that had spinning knifes that actually cut the stuff instead of beating it to death. Sorry, but I don’t miss that flat bar design at all. It’s like a night and day difference…Dave

Nice job/save! Does your chipper have like ¼” x 1” flat bar for blades that just flop around on shafts? And it just beats the stuff to death. I had one of those chippers decades ago. Then I got a chipper that had spinning knifes that actually cut the stuff instead of beating it to death. Sorry, but I don’t miss that flat bar design at all. It’s like a night and day difference…Dave

Yep, brute force, crude as it gets. Appropriately called a hammer mill.

At that pay rate i could find lots of work for you. My farm help starts at 13.50 and it's hard to find.

Back