Chips Managment.

Having lived in Asia, it seems natural to take my shoes off at the door when I enter the house. I just slip into another pair of "inside" shoes.

My garage door is in the front hall where my front door is. I leave my shoes by the front door. Sometimes they get tracked into the hallway. Or, if we run into the garage to throw something away or get something, they get tracked in. Then somehow, they find themselves everywhere.

I used 1x2 firring alternating long strips and short blocks, all held together with four 1/4x20 threaded rods to make a mat. It's easy on the feet and most of the chips fall thru the slats. To clean the chips just pick up the mat and 99% of the swarf is left behind on the floor. I used to use a big magnet but obviously the aluminum, brass and plastic gets left behind.

LATHE FLOOR MAT.JPG

Last edited:
Sometimes a clear semi-rigid plastic shield can be draped over the workpiece and tool to deflect chips into the pan.

I use old carpet at the lathe, and on each side of the garage door to clean the chips off my shoes. Then leave my shop shoes at the door.
No shoes are worn anywhere in our house (bare hardwood floors everywhere).

Old carpet at the lathe is also comfortable to stand on and has saved a dial caliber once upon a time. Carpet goes a long way to saving anything else that gets dropped on the floor.

Old carpet can be had for free from flooring people who are glad to be rid of it. I look at it as giving the carpet a second life. It was headed for the dump anyway.

Side note: Chips can get carried into the house on our clothing too. Try to choose clothing that does not snag or catch chips easily.

Back