Choosing a VFD (picking a tree from the forest)

I have a locking enclosure so I can isolate my equipment from unauthorized use. Mainly my 4 year old and 7 year old, they like shop time with dad but I don't need any accidents if I'm not watching them.

I also want the ability to use external braking resistors as my lathe will take a pretty healthy chuck.

MKJS is correct no braking resistor available on the 110V and 220V versions of the L510. Higher voltage L510s do allow a braking resistor (my bad, I saw the terminals in the manual and didn't realize they were only on some versions).

You will still want some sort of cover over the exposed electrical terminals, even if you are the only one in the shop (this is one advantage of the N3, it will save you some time). You will also want to keep swarf out of your VFD so a full enclosure might be the best choice if you can't mount the VFD in a swarf free location.

I have used both Hitachi and Haun Yang VFDs. The Hitachi is nicer and has more features, but I find that I don't need most of them. I believe it is also UL listed. The Haun Yang worked for what I needed it for, and the manual was surprisingly pretty good and it was fairly easy to program (as easy as the Hitachi, which isn't saying either is a breeze). I would purchase either of these brands again. They also tend to be fairly low cost, which helps. Recently purchased a 2200 watt Huan Yang for 140, free shipping, the last Hitachi I bought a 3 hp for about 220 plus shipping. Good luck.

Be careful on the Huanyang VFDs, many of these VFDs show connections for an optional braking resistor, but the circuity is missing. There are even cheaper copies of the Huanyang sold on eBay and they all look very similar, go figure. I would check with the seller that they guarantee that the circuitry for the braking resistor is active, good luck returning it if it doesn't work. I rarely hear of a VFD failure, and usually they are Huanyang.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/huanyang-vfd-on-a-bridgeport-clone.36144/

It looks like the n3 is what I'm looking for, found it for 280ish plus the braking resistor.

Also, do I need to run a breaker up steam of my vfds between it and the panel, or is it just recommended.

You do not need an additional breaker if you have a panel breaker that is close to what is recommended for the VFD. What is more commonly done is to have two high speed fuses in the VFD cabinet, these are usually a J or CC class current limiting type fuse or an RK5. Usually for a 2-3Hp VFD this would be a J or CC lass 30A fuse in L1 and L2, I have use this amperage for several 3 Hp VFDs. High speed fusing is preferable because the overload characteristic closely matches the VFD current draw. Delay type fuse could be used but offer less protection for the VFD, the recommended amperage is also different. Recently I have been using the smaller size CC fuses (Cooper BUSSMANN KTK-R-30 Fast Acting) and a 30A CC 2 pole holder, total is about $25-30 on eBay.

I have a Teco FM50 VFD on my mill (does not support a braking resistor) and it will shut down if I reduce the speed too fast. This is when reducing the speed using the VS that the mill has, not the VFD. There is enough rotating mass in the mill to cause an issue with the VFD. This happens in both high and low gears when reducing speed. A braking resistor would solve this but isn't an option with this VFD

Just to clarify, the FM50 that would be used here would support a braking resister.

"*Note: Only for 230V 2,3HP and 460V 1-3HP models."

FM50 manual page 17.

http://dealerselectric.com/images/Products/teco/fm50_instruction_&_user_manual.pdf

Only reason I chimed in is because I have a FM50 2Hp version and it does support a braking resister.

I'm running AC Tech, but not entirely pleased with customer service. I have two units, a 5horse, and a half horse. The 5 is running my lathe, drill press, and shaper without any problems. The 1/2 horse unit is down due to puking its program. Lenze is not supporting it, and barely acknowledges that it exists - and will not fix it. I'll probably replace it with a Hitachi.

Not an expert on all the different manufacturers. My choice typically is based on the vendor support, spare parts and what a company is used to. Part of being hired gun who is just there for a job or two.

One such company liked and used Automation Direct. For the most part I was happy with them for VFD's and various process controllers. I did help get them off of their terminal blocks. Phoenix Contact makes my favorite for that type hardware.

I ended up buying a few of their products for my own use due to low cost and it was fine. Manuals online and easy to read. The auto-tune PID routines work pretty good. No experience with them on 2 PID's ( 1st for heating and 2nd for cooling ) the deadband between these can be tricky for your process.

Internal software and the bugs seems to always be an issue on everything I have ever worked on. keep it basic and realize if you push the envelope on the published capability you will have issues. Sales guys over selling capability while the technical guys are saying pull back on that.

Back