Chris G0704 Build

I'm able to source the 32005 X/Q but like you guys, when I called around for the 32007 X/Q, I was told that only the 32007 X was available...

Found a source for the SKF 32007 X/Q. I purchased a set from qualitybearingsonline . com for a suspiciously low price. I paid $45 CAD with shipping. I contacted their sales rep beforehand to verify that the bearings listed are not the X version, and I was reassured that they are the X/Q. Will update when they arrive.

I replaced the bearings with AC about 8 years ago and did a shoddy job of it. They gave me 5 years of life before I replaced them with the same AC bearings but was much more careful about assembly, grease fill, and preload.

3 years later they are still going strong at 5000rpm spindle speed. No discernable play and 0.0004" TIR at the taper. None of my holders/tooling is accurate enough for me to get a value at the end of a test bar.

AC bearings have about 1/3 the load rating of tapered. I used the cheap VXB AC bearings for 8 year or so. I replaced them every year or two ( probably a couple hundred spindle hours). When I went to the 2HP 3PH motor I went through a couple sets of AC bearings in short time. I backed off my MRRs but they still didn't last too long. I looked into getting better AC bearings and they were to expensive IMHO. I wish I had been paying attention when the thread about the better tapered bearings showed up in 2017. I have a friend that has been using a set for 4-5 years and they are still holding up.

I generally shoot for 2cu in/minute in aluminum at 6750 rpm, 81 IPM, .004 IPT with a Best Carbide 3/8" 3 Flute 1" LOC HSC Aluminum End Mill (601-33750-1).

AC bearings have about 1/3 the load rating of tapered. I used the cheap VXB AC bearings for 8 year or so. I replaced them every year or two ( probably a couple hundred spindle hours). When I went to the 2HP 3PH motor I went through a couple sets of AC bearings in short time. I backed off my MRRs but they still didn't last too long. I looked into getting better AC bearings and they were to expensive IMHO. I wish I had been paying attention when the thread about the better tapered bearings showed up in 2017. I have a friend that has been using a set for 4-5 years and they are still holding up.

I generally shoot for 2cu in/minute in aluminum at 6750 rpm, 81 IPM, .004 IPT with a Best Carbide 3/8" 3 Flute 1" LOC HSC Aluminum End Mill (601-33750-1).
Wow. Very nice. My go to recipe is 5000 rpm, 3/8" 3F Alu-Power endmill, 1" deep, 30% (0.1125") radial stepover, 0.004" ipt. I go for high speed "dynamic" toolpaths (everyone has a different name for the same thing) with 300ipm back feedrates.

I have not had the experience of burning up spindle bearings, but I'd seriously consider the taper roller ones suggested if I need to replace mine.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade my spindle bearings yet so I took one for the team and ordered one of the 32007 X/Q bearings off Amazon just to see what he actually ships. I received a 32007 X bearing yesterday so I've reached out to see if they can correct it. I've also flagged the ad for incorrect listing information.

I ordered a 32005 X/Q from a different seller and should get that one later today. Anyone wanna guess what actually arrives? :cool:

I know this is an older thread, but I am hoping to get some info on this modification. I stumbled across the exact same motor brand new for 70 dollars, and I couldn't pass it up. I am not interested in CNC conversion or high spindle speeds. On the G0704 I have, someone mad a lot of mods, including removing the gear train and going direct drive with the original dc motor. I primarily work in steel. I'd like to get down to about 200 rpms on occasion. This would be short time use, but if I understand correctly this motor should not be run for extended periods below 875 rpm. Basically, I'd like to know if it seems pheasible to use stepped pulleys to give me a 1:1 for general purpose and a 4:1 for lower rpms. I'm not sure there is enough room to do this mounting the motor in the original location. Given, that you have already installed this motor, I was hoping to learn from your experience and save myself some time.

Back