Christmas in AUGUST

Dman1114

Active User
Registered
Placed my order for a new G4003G lathe on TUES....

Got my tracking info today. Looks like ill be takining delivery tomarrow!!

Anyone have any tips on prepping these for use ...

What's the best way to clean all the Cosmo off?

Can't wait.... Thinking of taking off the day tomarrow...

Odorless mineral spirits and disposable blue shop towels have always worked well for me. Quick wipe with alcohol before a proper lube gets rid of remaining residue. Have good ventilation and don't leave those oily rags in a pile inside your garage to start a fire.

Have fun!

-Ryan

Last edited:
I have also heard that WD-40 works well and won't harm the painted surfaces.

Congrats on the new lathe.

Mike.

You are going to love that lathe. What Ryan said on cleaning and WD40 works well too. Check your fluids before running it. They said it ships empty but mine was full so I used that for the break in process and then changed it. You'll want some way oil and something for the change gears lube. I've used Wurth HSK with good results and recently picked up a can of open gear lube from Napa for $8 that works well also. Make sure that every component you receive is exactly what you should have. I didn't inspect every change gear when my machine arrived 14 months ago and ended up with one wrong gear that they are unwilling to help with since it is out of warranty.

Dave

Cool Thanks For all the Advice.....

I actually got a brand new gallon of mobil way oil sitting here and a 5 gal pail of oil for the apron and headstock....

UPS freight called and said they wont have a lift gate for tomorrow but maybe monday.... :angry: but if i had a way to unload they would swing buy with a regular 48' trailer ....

lucky for me i got a farmer with a tractor right next door:whistle:

so tomorrow it is. I even took the day off from work.

Man im Psyched .... The ole lady thinks I'm crazy and keeps asking why I'm not working tomorrow

Back