Chuck and bearings runout question

There is a snapring groove at the bottom of the visible part of the shaft. I wondering if that is supposed to be used to seat the shaft height. I am back to the all thread or an acme thread. I am prone to breaking things with jacks.

The circlip below the drive sleeve is just to limit travel of the lower drive sleeve bearing - its just a stop and need not be removed or disturbed.

The drive sleeve is a SLIP FIT in the bore and does not require a great deal of force to remove it. I suggested a jack to simply give you a controlled way of nudging the sleeve out without cocking it. There is almost no force applied that could damage anything as long as the sleeve comes out straight. You could use a piece of pipe and all-thread to pull the sleeve out if you wish; it will accomplish the same thing.

Personally,I would be very happy with 005 runout in one of the Oriental pillar drills.....usually around 015,and the runout is in the spindle .....the cure is to use a oriental chuck ,and before mounting the Jacobs taper permanently ,see if you can equalize the runout..........incidentally,the first time a drillbit slips in the chuck,all bets are off ,and runout will be anything,depending how much damage is done to the jaws.

I pressed out the spindle bearings and the drive sleeve bearings today, I got a few surprises! I wound up pulling the head off the column to get the spindle sleeve bearings out, I had to turn the head upside down and use the arbor press to get them out. They were not just a slip fit. They also only come out one way! I also press the spindle bearings out of the quill. I found a 3rd bearing. It is an NTN 51105 thrust beairng. Now I just need to order new 7 bearings and 2 A26 belts and a few hours, I am back in business! Woo Hoo!

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 186
Personally,I would be very happy with 005 runout in one of the Oriental pillar drills.....usually around 015,and the runout is in the spindle .....the cure is to use a oriental chuck ,and before mounting the Jacobs taper permanently ,see if you can equalize the runout..........incidentally,the first time a drillbit slips in the chuck,all bets are off ,and runout will be anything,depending how much damage is done to the jaws.
Well I was able to get the spindle bearings cleaned out a little and the spindle runout was less than .001, so a good set of sealed bearings pressed in and I will have a good drill press. I am worried about the pulley that has a chunk missing causing a problem, I guess I will find out when I run it.

I found some
SKF 6205 RSJEM

The are listed as ABCDE1 precision bearings. Prices are better than the Naichi bearings. What sayeth the tribe?

SKF makes good stuff. If it fits the machine and budget, go for it.

Bearings were $68 for all 5, I got 3 of the SKF 2RS-jem bearings for the spindle and 2 Naichi bearings for the drive sleeve.

bearings are installed, the drive sleeve has a tight spot in it when I rotate it, the spindle now has .0004. I need to get one more belt, Oreilly's carries gates A22 and a26 belts for under $10 each. I dropped the metric set screw that holds the collar on the spindle splines, so I have to go get one of those soon. I also need to replace a few handles, I found what I think I need from https://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/levers/gear-lever-assemblies-shafts They also carry machine handles for decent prices. I ordered from them before and was satisfied. Tim

Tim, have you sorted out why there is a tight spot when you rotate the drive sleeve? That should not be there. Is the spindle straight?

Back