Chuck backing plate ??

AJ

Registered
Registered
A couple years ago I bought a South Bend 10k and recently I picked up a Heavy 10 to restore. Well, a really nice alwost new 3jaw self centering came with the Heavy 10 but has the 2 3/8-8 backing plate. I`d like to use the 3jaw chuck on my 10k until the restoration is complete. The backing plate I`m looking at is partially machined with the 1 1/2-8 spindle threads already done. The backing plate is 7 5/8x3/4 and the chuck is a 6 1/2. Is there anything that would stop me from using this plate ? What`s the difference between a self centering chuck plate and a 4jaw independent style backing plate ? Thanks, AJ

Hi AJ,

Nothing at all, just machine it as needed. The fact that its a little bigger won't stop it from being usable. If you need to just machine it down to suit. You will have to machine it anyway to suit the chuck register.

Hi AJ,

Nothing at all, just machine it as needed. The fact that its a little bigger won't stop it from being usable. If you need to just machine it down to suit. You will have to machine it anyway to suit the chuck register.

Excellent, i thought so but wanted to make sure.. Thanks for answering me...

Back