Chuck for my Clausing 8520. Questions

Defender92

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a Clausing 8520. The seller forgot to give me the drill chuck and today I picked it up from him.

My 8520 has a Morse taper 2 spindle. This chuck has some sort of straight shaft and I haven’t tried putting it on my 8520 yet. I have been borrowing my MT2 chuck from my lathe.

Will this chuck be just as good as my MT2 chuck?? If not it appears to have a set screw holding the shaft. Could i by or modify a MT2 shaft and install on this??

3248CBEE-817A-4E68-B8BD-04022BDBAA4B.jpeg

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just need an MT2 adapter that fits that chuck . Will it be just as good as yours ? Hard to say , depends on wear and tear and the chuck itself . :dunno: I don't think I've ever seen a set screw on any Jacobs chucks in my lifetime FWIW . That's a strange bird .

What is the model number on the chuck ? I have to think the original owner possibly altered the chuck for a set screw being the shank was a screw on .

Defender92

Registered
Registered
Just need an MT2 adapter that fits that chuck . Will it be just as good as yours ? Hard to say , depends on wear and tear and the chuck itself . :dunno: I don't think I've ever seen a set screw on any Jacobs chucks in my lifetime FWIW . That's a strange bird .

What is the model number on the chuck ? I have to think the original owner possibly altered the chuck for a set screw being the shank was a screw on .
image.jpg

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
If the chuck is usable would you rather have a MT2 mount? The person who had my 8520 had two chucks with straight shanks like yours . I find it’s handy keeping the 1/2” collet in place for using the 1/2” edge finder , then go to the chuck or end mill just by loosening the collet

Defender92

Registered
Registered
If the chuck is usable would you rather have a MT2 mount? The person who had my 8520 had two chucks with straight shanks like yours . I find it’s handy keeping the 1/2” collet in place for using the 1/2” edge finder , then go to the chuck or end mill just by loosening the collet
Oh! Now that makes sense. I didn’t even think about putting it in a collet. Thanks for pointing that out!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock