Chuck for my Clausing 8520. Questions

Defender92

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a Clausing 8520. The seller forgot to give me the drill chuck and today I picked it up from him.

My 8520 has a Morse taper 2 spindle. This chuck has some sort of straight shaft and I haven’t tried putting it on my 8520 yet. I have been borrowing my MT2 chuck from my lathe.

Will this chuck be just as good as my MT2 chuck?? If not it appears to have a set screw holding the shaft. Could i by or modify a MT2 shaft and install on this??

3248CBEE-817A-4E68-B8BD-04022BDBAA4B.jpeg

Just need an MT2 adapter that fits that chuck . Will it be just as good as yours ? Hard to say , depends on wear and tear and the chuck itself . :dunno: I don't think I've ever seen a set screw on any Jacobs chucks in my lifetime FWIW . That's a strange bird .

What is the model number on the chuck ? I have to think the original owner possibly altered the chuck for a set screw being the shank was a screw on .

Just need an MT2 adapter that fits that chuck . Will it be just as good as yours ? Hard to say , depends on wear and tear and the chuck itself . :dunno: I don't think I've ever seen a set screw on any Jacobs chucks in my lifetime FWIW . That's a strange bird .

What is the model number on the chuck ? I have to think the original owner possibly altered the chuck for a set screw being the shank was a screw on .
image.jpg

If the chuck is usable would you rather have a MT2 mount? The person who had my 8520 had two chucks with straight shanks like yours . I find it’s handy keeping the 1/2” collet in place for using the 1/2” edge finder , then go to the chuck or end mill just by loosening the collet

If the chuck is usable would you rather have a MT2 mount? The person who had my 8520 had two chucks with straight shanks like yours . I find it’s handy keeping the 1/2” collet in place for using the 1/2” edge finder , then go to the chuck or end mill just by loosening the collet
Oh! Now that makes sense. I didn’t even think about putting it in a collet. Thanks for pointing that out!

Back