Chuck ID

Yes to jwmay. that is the wrench supplied by the preivouse owner. I just got the lathe and have only been testing it til some parts come in for my QC gear box. In my earlier life I was a machinist/tool and die maker. (so not a total rube) I asked about this chuck and how to use it properly , so I could "use it properly" There are not the "normal" 2 holes to use to tighten it with tommy bars. I have read to just drill another hole (which I am hesitant to do) or use the back gears and 1 pin to tighten the chuck. Both sound like a bad idea. I will more than likely just buy a conventional 3 jaw chuck with a chuck key and keep this one around as a backup or incase I ever learn how use it . Thanks for all your help, hopfully I will get smart enought to ask better questions, or remember some of my earlier training. Which may not help much since I did not use antique hobby lathes. That being said I am already starting to like this classic old machine :)

Last edited:
Well I’m glad that seems correct. I also dug up this old thread. It has a picture of the same one I believe.

Not that it matters, but I should be honest I guess and say I ruined mine trying to open the jaws. I didn’t know the rear nut locked it, or was even a nut, and had a 6 foot bar with pipe wrench on a pin hole at one point. Then I drilled a hole in it trying to investigate the innards. Finally through pure dumb luck(a little too late) I put a wrench on the “flats behind the chuck” not knowing it was a threaded nut, and tried it in both directions. It came loose easily and everything worked fine. But now it’s got an oddly placed hole in it, and I never used it. Not sure why I still keep it around honestly. I’d guess this was about 4 years ago. Maybe just to remind myself not to be an idiot if I can possibly avoid it.

Back