Chuck Jaw play

no1boatguy

Registered
Registered
Hello Everyone
I recently acquired a buck adjust tru 10" chuck for my SB 16. There is some play in the chuck jaws. You can rock them side to side slightly have not put an indicator on but was curious about how much is acceptable. The Jaws tighten fine and flat against the work piece. Since its an adjustable chuck I can center it fine. Just not sure what problems the movement will have when tool pressure is applied. Also had a question about drill chucks. Since my machine is MT3 what would be the maximum drill chuck for the MT3 shank. I was looking at a 18N jacobs. Also a keyless 5/8" is also of interest to me. Was thinking of a Rohm seem much more reasonable than the Albrecth but not sure about the threaded arbor. There are some with integrated shanks that look like the way to go. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hello and welcome to the HM. Is the Buck chuck new? And I have a MT#3 Jacbos 1/2” super ball bearing chuck. Works just fine and has for decades. Also have a 5/8” version, but can’t recall ever using it? It’s all going to depend on the job and user…Dave

I would not use a keyless chuck on a lathe; one of the things I frequently do is to tap holes in the ends of parts in the lathe, with a keyless chuck, you would be unable to back the tap out of the hole.
A 3 jaw chuck that has jaws so loose as to rock in the slots is quite worn, I have a 10" Buck on my 19" regal LeBlond, and after over nearly 40 years of daily use, it does not show that kind of wear.

Hello Everyone
I recently acquired a buck adjust tru 10" chuck for my SB 16. There is some play in the chuck jaws. You can rock them side to side slightly have not put an indicator on but was curious about how much is acceptable. The Jaws tighten fine and flat against the work piece. Since its an adjustable chuck I can center it fine. Just not sure what problems the movement will have when tool pressure is applied. Also had a question about drill chucks. Since my machine is MT3 what would be the maximum drill chuck for the MT3 shank. I was looking at a 18N jacobs. Also a keyless 5/8" is also of interest to me. Was thinking of a Rohm seem much more reasonable than the Albrecth but not sure about the threaded arbor. There are some with integrated shanks that look like the way to go. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am not an expert but I would think that the jaws once tightened will not move. The forces are going to create enough pressure to prevent them from rocking.

I went to a friend of mines machine shop and asked him about the jaw play. He looked puzzled ? he walked me around to all his lathes and all of chucks had loose jaws.Some more than others. he does a ton of work and does not seem concerned by the play in the jaws. With that said I have 3 other chucks all 8" and the jaws are all tight no movement. Sooooo I don't know. I guess only by making chips with it will I know if it is going to be a problem.

Once in and tight the work is good but it cannot be removed and replaced.

So the work must be finished before taking out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Your right on that. The jaws of the chuck have play both side to side and end to end. I put an indicator on the chuck and the wobble was 5 thou each way I rocked the jaw. So am thinking of a different chuck. I have the buck adjust tru back plate for a 2103R chuck so will look for another one. I have my eye on one on ebay that looks new but they want 750 without the L1 mount. I can get a new shars copy of the buck made in china for 600 but not sure a clean used USA made 2103R Buck would be better that the china made chuck. I am posting some pictures and links. Anyone out there got any thoughts you could share with me would be appreciated

Buck Chuck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAN-BUCK...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649

Shars Chuck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-3-JAW-U...751438?hash=item519ecf864e:g:05MAAOxyvSVREPlc

Buck Adjust Tru 10.jpg

Shars 10 Chuck.jpg

20180311_155527[1].jpg

Back