Chuck jaw truing

All great ideas.
Boswell brought up a good question.
I wonder how hard it need to be???
I was also wondering how even the fit on the three jaws needs to be????
I would think it would need to be as even as possible, so one jaw is not flopping around.

This uses 1/4" flat stock and the circle just keeps the spacers square to the chuck face as well as acting as a safety so things don't get exciting.
Nothing fancy is required, but there needs to be even tension between the chuck jaws so the widths of the spacers might vary just a bit.
That depends on the way the chuck is stressed.
Notice how the pictures and explanations of the members all have the spacers at the outboard end of the jaws.
The chuck should be "fully" disassembled and cleaned beforeIMG_0409.JPG and after the operation so chips and grit don't cause a problem.

That is nice.
I ordered a Lovejoy off of evilbay.
We'll see if it works

looks like it will not work.
Thought I could get away easy.
The fingers need to be wider. These are way to narrow.
Back to the drawing board.

i use 3 square gage blocks held in place at the relief angle on the jaws

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong.
The jaws are true. Not enough run out for the work I do.
Problem I'm having is the outer part of the jaw will not hold thin material.
I am trying to hold a thin tubing, with a mandrel for support.
Because the jaws don't hold all the way out, the tubing sometimes spins in the chuck.
This is why I think the jaws are not parallel when clamping towards the outside.
Does this make sense????

If the jaws aren't parallel, they aren't true.
If the thin tube is supported with a mandrel inside of it, the jaws should be able to clamp on it even if they don't run true.
Unless; the back of the jaws are closing tight on the mandrel and the front of your jaws are still loose over the tube. Lotta warp there.

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong.
The jaws are true. Not enough run out for the work I do.
Problem I'm having is the outer part of the jaw will not hold thin material.
I am trying to hold a thin tubing, with a mandrel for support.
Because the jaws don't hold all the way out, the tubing sometimes spins in the chuck.
This is why I think the jaws are not parallel when clamping towards the outside.
Does this make sense????

Thats the exact problem I had. Grinding the jaws fixed the chuck.

Greg

Your jaws are tapered, worn at the outer edge, they need grinding. Use 3 gage blocks at the relived angle of the jaws to lock them in place.

Back