Chuck problem

I have a 4" D.E. Whiton 3 jaw chuck that I took apart to clean and lube because it was not working smoothly. When I was backing out the jaws I don't recall them being at all tight or difficult to remove but now that I try to reassemble it one jaw fits fine, one is tight close to the inside portion of the slot and one won't fit at all. What happened?

I do know about the numbers but they just don't want to fit. Like the chuck body was just waiting for someone to take the jaws out so it could spring into a different shape.

Everything is numbered just fine and they are going back on the correct position. Just not fitting. Not my first time taking one apart and reassembling.

Are you putting them in in the correct direction? I just can't see any reason why that would happen other then those 2 reasons!

Shot in the dark, but were the jaws in correct location/sequence before you took it apart? If not it could mean a previous owner has swapped a jaw or two from another chuck. Might explain the runout you've been experiencing in your other post.

I do know about the numbers but they just don't want to fit. Like the chuck body was just waiting for someone to take the jaws out so it could spring into a different shape.

Ive pushed a burr over when removing the jaws before and made the fit a bit tight when putting them back in, might want to pop the jaws out and run a fingure (carefully) in the slots to find a burr.

You could also put some blue (sharpie marker pen can be used also) on the jaws to see where their rubbing most.

Might be worth opening it back up and double checking theirs no burrs or chips stuck on the scroll.

Stu

francist, this is a second chuck i have, not the one i posted about in another post. At this point I was just test fitting the jaws before I put the scroll back in. The jaws all have the same company marks and are numbered. I also noted where each came from as I took them out. I will keep checking the various recommendations.

Reactions: Z2V
Back