Chuck question

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anybody know if anyone makes new 3 jaw scroll chucks with internal threads? I recently mounted a brand new chuck with threaded backplate to my Atlas and have immediately lost all confidence in this little machine being able to deal with all this leverage. Really looks dumb too imo. I know they used to make them, but I haven’t seen any new ones advertised.

Taig Tools does, but they only make a couple of sizes. What machine/threads are you looking for?

Are you concerned the chuck hangs out too far? I wouldn't worry, especially if your Atlas has roller bearings
Mark

Yeah, that’s my hang up. The chuck is 4 inches deep at least. Then the backplate for another 2 1/2” probably. This is all just guessing.

Bison makes a 5" direct mount 3J scroll 7-805-0552. Most likely there is a Gator equivalent which is a bit cheaper. I am assuming on the back plate that the chuck mounting plate is bit over 1" and the threaded portion makes up the rest., so it would be quite a bit wider with a back plate. Direct mount is about 1.5" shorter. You might call Ajax Industries to see what they have or check a few other vendors. Around $500 for the 5" with two piece jaws.

Ofc this is me eyeballing the 0 inch mark, but yeah, about 2” to where the check is bolted on.

Back